Amd X2 4200 not showing as dual-procs

Thread: Amd X2 4200 not showing as dual-procs

Amd X2 4200 not showing as dual-procs

I'm putting a machine together for a friend and seem to have a slight hitch. The machine is running fine and dandy, but when I check the Hardware, XP only show the processor as AMD Hammer Family Model Unknown. It should be showing 2 processors in there if it is recognizing the dual-cores properly, right? So, the question is, why isn't it showing it?

Abit AN8 with V15 BIOS
    Athlon X2 42000
    Windows XP Pro

yes I cross-posted after I realized that no one actually looks at the AMD threads.

V15 BIOS
    so is that the latest & greatest ?, I can see processor support not being completely there for newer chips, its definately not unusual anyways.

..yes I cross-posted after I realized that no one actually looks at the AMD threads...
    & on this bit, if you feel need to raise the profile of your thread to get an answer, BUMP is often effective , duplicate threads are a pita ! (but I appreciate you had 'good reason' & can't delete your own anymore, I'll go look for it & get somebody to sort it )

Well there is a V16 BIOS, but it has had some problems with the X2's. The V15 is the most stable from what I've read.

simple bump

I got it working. I went ahead and upgraded to the V16 BIOS. It worked like a charm. I like they have a Windows-based flash upgrade, very slick.

That system is a beast. We decided to see if we could bring it down. 2 gig's of RAM on this thing, 6800GT. We ran GuildWars(game), Unreal Tournament 2k4(game), Tom Clancy's Raven Shield(game), played Lord of the Rings DVD, AND defragged the HD all at the same time and barely even made the damn thing hiccup. It eventually started to blip a little on Raven Shield, but it was absolutely amazing. I must build one of these for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton
    I got it working. I went ahead and upgraded to the V16 BIOS. It worked like a charm..
    Lovely , glad its all working nicely now .. had to do one of these myself (an8 sli deluxe version) yesterday & despite 'what it says on the tin' I too had to flash it to get it working as expected .