This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

Dear experts,

I use a notebook using windows xp sp2...when I plug in my usb mass storage (external hard disk), the windows did not performed automatic detection..and also not detect this device...When I manually upgrade driver, the result was "This device cannot start. (Code 10)....Anyone could help me please...???

Thank you for your kind helps,

Julia

code 10

Hello. well windows xp error code 10 indicates a hardware error or failed driver installation. Windows will not always dedect all devices. When a hard disk sometimes is not detected it could be failed hardware. Go to My computer, right click to get the menu ,go to properties, then device manager. check the list to see if your device is listed(which it should be if you tried to update the driver already) Beside your device if there are any yellow question marks in front of the device name then windows did not recognize the hardware and was unable to load the proper drivers. Did it come with a cd when You got it? If so maybe the drivers are on it. You could also check this, right click onto your device in the device manager, when the menu appears click properties. when the device properties screen comes up check at the bottom of the the window you will see device usage, it should be set at "use this device" enable. also under the device properties, under the general tab you will see device status, it will tell you if the device is working properly. Is your windows up to date? You could try going to microsofts web site and updating it may come up when the site scans for updates and under hardware updates on the list it may show up and then you can download from there. I feel you need to find the drivers thats why it will not start. Hope this helped you.
    Don't Worry be Happy! Things could always be Worse..There is a fix for everything!

My USB Mass Storage Drive works at amy other PCs and notebooks..However, only in this notebook cannot detect...when I went to the Device Manager, there is a "!" sign symbol for Mass Storage Device. But it is enabled and already updated. However, I cannot updated because after update driver, it came a status This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10). Any other possible solutions please?

Thanks for your helps.

Cool

ext. drives require USB 2.0

Type of motherboard?

Hi I have exactly the same problem as Zach, but have no idea why. I just reinstalled my Windows and suddenly my external hard drive didn't work anymore (code 10). I find it very strange and I don't think it has anything to do with using USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 ports, I only have USB 1.0 ports (sadly enough) and it worked perfectly until just now... any help would be most welcome

OK so i found out what my problem was, quite ridiculous actually, i just had the put that little pin at the back of my hard disk to "master" that's all that's to it

Unhappy

well I have absolutely the same problem,I have external hard disk,I updated my bios,and am still receiving the same code error 10!the external hard disk does run on other machines,but not on my IBM R32.

Angry I do have the same problem...

I do have the same problem... with my external hard disk... Heard from the owner that it worked great with his desktop.

But it is not working with my XP laptop. I tried many ways... But I remember I selected Cable select option instead of Master in back of my hard-drive? Is that might cause any problem?

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome to Windrivers chandra
    The drive must be set as master and powered separately and do not use an extension or hub, it must be directly to the usb port on the laptop. SP2 should be installed and you should check with your laptop support page for bios updates and chipset drivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi

I have the same prob, message error code 10, except i cannot seem to fix it.

I use an IBM T41 laptop and up till now my 80GB mass storage device worked fine ...until last night.
    I don't have the original CD that came with it and have tried most things yet still get the yellow question mark in the device manager section.

I need to access the contents of the HD pretty urgently...Can anyone get me out of this rut?

Thanks in advance - Max-UK

I believe it is a USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.0 problem. I'm not totally sure but I believe there's a difference in the power output of a USB 2.0 compared to the power output of a USB 1.0 (which is partly what enalbes USB 2.0 to transfer data significantly faster). Now, for an external drive you preferably need a USB 2.0, which was the case with my Philips External Hard Drive (which is why I kept getting an error - "This Device Cannot Start (code 10)". However, alternatively, the Hard Drive should have a power input. At least mine did. So I ended up using 2 USB 1.1 ports on my computer, both linking to the hard drive, which combined together gave enough power output for the Hard Drive to function - I'm guessing.

Thanks for that smik but that does not solve my problem. It still does not explain the portable hard drive working for almost a year with no problems then as of last night, not working. Time is ticking and its left me really frustrated that i can't sort this out. Thanks again for the swift reply.

Quote Originally Posted by fiorano
    Thanks for that smik but that does not solve my problem. It still does not explain the portable hard drive working for almost a year with no problems then as of last night, not working. Time is ticking and its left me really frustrated that i can't sort this out. Thanks again for the swift reply.
    OK so what happened to change that... was there an update? Did you unplug the device in a hurry? Did you add or remove something?

Code 10 means it ran out of resources... the power available is also included in that. Did you plug in another usb device? Do you constantly plug and unplug the hard drive?

Have you tried uninstalling the usb ports and controllers in safe mode, disable them in bios, rebooting a couple of times and then enabling them and reinstalling them?

You could try going into bios/setup and disabling other devices that you don't need for the moment - eg an onboard modem, com/serial ports, parallel port etc.

What OS are you running? What service pack level?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hey noo noo.

I guess i'm guilty of most things your suggesting. I do plug/unplug regularly and i do add other USB devices without the proper caution.I'm running Windows XP but not sure of the service pack. I'm not much of a techie but any advice you can offer about BIOS, enabling, installing, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Max