This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

I seem to remember that there is a limit to the number of times you can plug and unplug a device under certain circumstances before it goes AWAL.

OK to find your service pack level, right click my computer, click properties, and it will tell you on the general tab.
    Try uninstalling usb in safe mode, disabling it in bios, then rebooting a few times before enabling it and reinstalling in safe mode.

That little safely unplug hardware is there for a reason, yanking the plug can cause your data to scramble. Can you try this drive in a friend's machine?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey noo, i have service pack 2. When i plug and unplug, i usually do this once in the morning and once in the afternoon. The max number of times i will do it is about 6 on any one day. i'll try the other suggestions you made and come back to you but anything else you can think of would be helpful.
    Your absolutely right for saying 'i told you so'!

From your point of view it may be quicker to just reinstall windows over the top then redo your windows updates. Your data "should" be safe, as it will just reset the operating system files to the original install state. If there is any corruption or other problems, then you may find your data is at risk.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I have the same problem of receiving error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

The drive has been working perfectly from the first day I bought it (2 months) until yesterday when I decided to reinstall windows XP sp2.

I now have a clean install of xp2 on my C: drive and have reloaded a number of programs, but now I cannot access my data on the Maxtor External HDD.

Windows does give me an alert sound when I plug the HDD in to the USB port (or remove it).
    I have rebooted a number of times either with the unit plugged in or out. I have uninstalled the driver (with the yellow exclamation mark) and that has reappeared.

I did leave the drive plugged in on one occasion when I rebooted and there was a error message saying "The boot devices have been changed. BBS Boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check"

I checked the boot order and the boot devices and could not see any change, and when I exited the BIOS without saving, the pc booted normally.

On several occasions after rebooting, I have been able to see the drive in My Computer, but if I try to copy anything from there, I receive another error message "Cannot copy myfilename. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Has anyone else got any further suggestions?

Thanks

Michael

Wecome to Windrivers Maxmillion

A fews questions, are you using a separate power cable for the drive?
    What filesystem is in use on the external drive and on the windows boot drive?
    Have you run windows update?
    Did you install the chipset drivers?
    Is the usb you have connected to part of the motherboard or a separate card?
    Usb1.1 or 2?

Thanks NooNoo.

The drive does have its own power supply.
    I seem to recall the filesystem being NTFS, but I can't remember. I just took it out the box, plugged it in and I was able to copy data files to it.

After the reinstall, I have a clean copy of windows xp sp2 with all updates now loaded.

No, I did not install any chipset drivers (wouldn't know how), but the drive worked the first time I plugged it in, and for a month afterwards. Windows immediately recognised that it was a Maxtor 3200 drive.

Quite honestly, I don't know if the usb is separate or not. It may be fed from the motherboard because there is a cable coming fom one of the card slots, which plugs into one usb port at the back, and then I have another two usb ports in the front. I also use a small 4-port hub and that is how I had connected the hard drive prior to the reinstall.
    I did test it by plugging it directly into the rear usb, but I was having the same results, so I don't think it is a factor.

Thanks

Michael

OK, find out the file systems for both drives please ... right click my computer, manage, on the lower part of the left window, double click disk management... on the right will show the file system.

What usb type? 1.1 or 2?
    What motherboard? (or what brand and model)

My partitioned C & D drives are Fat32 while the external maxtor is NTFS.
    Motherboard is AMD athlon 2.4 (1.99ghz) and 736mb of RAM.
    PC is an Acer

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to determine the USB type.

Thanks

Michael

OK, nearly there
    Your processor is an AMD Athlon
    Your motherboard is what the processor is plugged into... what Acer model is it so that I can look up the motherboard and therefore the usb type.... but you can also tell from device manager. I still need the Acer model so I can check what chipset drivers are needed.

Acer Aspire T120 I found this link here
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...pire_t120.html

Thanks again

Michael

Well you have done the work for me... you will note near the end of the page you have a link to chipset drivers. You need to remove the usb drive, download the chipset drivers and install them. You should then reinstall the other drivers above.

After you have installed all the drivers and restarted the machine, login and wait for the desktop to completely finish loading... or just wait a couple of minutes after login. Then with the power on the external drive plug the usb drive into one of the ports which directly connect to the motherboard.

You may wish to update the bios, but there is no clue what the update fixes. Updating the bios can render your motherboard useless.

If you still receive messages to the effect that the files cannot be read, it could be that you unplugged the drive without using the safely remove hardware icon and the files have corrupted. In this case go to www.pcinspector.de and download the free utility for recovering files. There is a tutorial on their site to show you how to use it.

Thanks again NooNoo.

I will upload the drivers as you recommend.

However, I must also say that a while ago I shutdown my pc, unplugged the drive, turned the power off and took a break.

When I switched on again about 10 minutes later, the pc booted up ok. I plugged in the drive, and hey presto - it works. I have been able to read and write there now for about 10 minutes.

One thing I never did, was "safely remove hardware". I always just unplugged the drive when I felt like it - so perhaps that causes some sort of power drain or something.

But thanks again for your help. I will download the drivers now and update them.

Michael

Glad it solved itself... but not using the safely remove hardware icon can cause the files to corrupt - while you may think you have finished with the drive, it may still be writing or indexing. If you unplug from the usb when this is happening, file corruption will ensue. Yes the power is removed, but it is what is going on with the drive at the point of removal that is of primary concern.

This device cannot start. (Code 10). I too have this problem on a Compaq laptop but it relates to the IR port. This laptop originally had Win98 loaded and I am moderately sure the IR port was working with then. I upgraded it to WinXP SP2 (with the online updates since) and now I get the error message. I can't believe it is a hardware problem since it is built in to the motherboard. I have tried all sorts of uninstalling/reinstalling but it changes nothing. I can't get beyound the error message to find what is actually the problem.
    Any help would be welcomed.

Welcome to Windrivers Bluebeard.

Have you been to compaq and got the updates from compaq? What laptop exactly is it?

Code 10 means a lack of resources, be it an IRQ, memory, power etc. It is a hardware problem, but it is more about hardware priority set by the bios in your case.