DOWNLOAD: ATi Catalyst Software Suite 5.8

Thread: DOWNLOAD: ATi Catalyst Software Suite 5.8

DOWNLOAD: ATi Catalyst Software Suite 5.8

Well here you go another 24 hour exclusive from my good friends at ATI, specially for their favourite community Driverheaven.net !

Thanks to the very cool people in ATI.com they have agreed to let Driverheaven host Catalyst 5.8 CCC before they go live on www.ati.com on Wednesday.

This set weighs in at around 33 megabytes and is available from www.driverheavendownloads.net please be aware the demand for this set will be extremely high so if you are failing to get it from one of our 100mbit mirrors then follow the discussion thread into our forums for smaller mirrors which our very able community always provide - DO NOT hammer or attempt to leech from the server you will get your IP banned. I also have set up a few small FTPs to help our community get and spread the set before ATI open their server farms tomorrow.

Issues Resolved in Catalyst™ Software Suite 5.8

The following section provides a summary of the issues that have been resolved in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:
    • Battlefield 2: Geometry corruption or missing textures are no longer noticed when playing the game for an extended period of time under Windows XP with an ATI Radeon® X800 XT installed
    • 3D Mark03: Enabling Powerplay mode and running the 3DMark03 or 05 in a loop no longer results in an error message being displayed
    • Area51_2.3dc: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer results in the NPC and guns appearing distorted, flashing or missing. Further the polygons no longer pop in and out of the display
    • GTA: Vice City: Setting the desktop and the game display option to 1024x768 32bpp and attempting to play the game under Windows XP MCE, no longer results in an Invalid Pixel Format message being displayed after approximately 5 minutes of game play
    • Lineage 2: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer results in display corruption being noticed
    • Movie Maker 2: Connecting an external video source using the S-video composite connectors, no longer results in the Movie Maker 2 application intermittently failing to capture video, when selecting the Capture from Video Source
    • MU Online: Opening a chat window and playing the on-line game no longer results in hesitation being noticed when pressing the Enter key
    • Quake 3: Enabling SmartShader™ followed by attempting to do a mode change while playing the game, no longer results in the game failing to respond
    • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Running the Dantoonie level of the game no longer result in hesitation being noticed
    • Terathon: Starting the Terathon 3D engine and selecting a single player demo, no longer results in the 3D engine failing to respond under Windows XP
    • Trackmania Sunrise: Playing the game under Windows XP no longer results in the operating system failing to respond, when attempting to exit the game after leaving the PC idle for an extended period of time
    • Warcraft III: Playing the game under Windows XP with the display rotated by 90 degrees CCW, no longer results in display corruption being noticed
    • Performing an overwrite of the video driver install, no longer results in the Hydravision Multidesk feature being unable to load
    • Video mode and Overscan can now be enabled when connecting a TV as the secondary display device and setting the display resolution to 640x480 32bpp 60Hz and extending the desktop
    • The Select by Signal Format is now the default setting when connecting a TV to an ATI display adapter
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: Updates to saved profiles is now available
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: Connecting a TV using the S-Video connector no longer results in the Apply button found in the TV properties of the Catalyst Control Center being active when no changes are made to the TV properties
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: An intermittent service error message is no longer displayed when starting up the Windows XP MCE operating system
    • Connecting a TV as the secondary display device and a CRT as the primary display device, no longer results in the Video mode and Overscan option not functioning properly when extended desktop is enabled
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: Double clicking anywhere on the Catalyst™ Control Center background after changing the color correction to the Full Screen 3D option no longer results in a full screen preview
    • Hesitation is no longer noticed when attempting to resume from an S3 or S4 state with Analog tv
    • Random display corruption is no longer noticed when playing a raw audio/video capture for the first time
    • Configuring Windows Media Encoder 9 as ATI AVStream Analog capture and ATI AVStream Analog Audio capture, followed by selecting a TV channel as input, no longer results in the both the Input and Output windows going black when Start Encoding is clicked
    • The DVB-T channel scan time no longer appears to be slow
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: Graphic truncation is no longer noticed under the Desktop and Display Setup of the Display Manager, in the German edition of the Catalyst Control Center
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: The text found in the Overlay/VIDEOVISION section of the Catalyst™ Control Center is no longer cut-off for the Turkish edition of the Catalyst™ Control Center
    • Setting the desktop resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and using the DVI connector to hot-plug an HDMI display device, no longer results in an error message being displayed
    • Using the ATI recommended speed option found in the Overdrive™ tab of the Catalyst™ Control Center, no longer results in the engine and memory clock values being the same as the default values
    • Using the DVI connector for a DFP display device, and the S-Video connector for a TV, no longer results in the driver returning the wrong display mappings when unplugging the DFP display device and extended desktop is enabled
    • Catalyst™ Control Center: The Set Desktop Area To, is no longer enabled and the resolution list is no longer available, when hot-unplugging a secondary display device under Windows XP
    • Playing an MPEG file on a secondary display device that is connected to the DVI port, no longer results in the lower portion of the playback window being missing
    • Hesitation in the Aquarium screen saver is no longer noticed when the ATI Multimedia Center™ is running
    • Using a limited account under Windows XP and changing the SmartShader™ aspect from none to black and white, no longer results in a general protection fault
    • Creating a custom hot-key for rotation no longer results in the custom hot-key to become unavailable for the secondary display device, when extended desktop is enabled and both display devices are set to 1280x1024
    Download: Catalyst 5.8 (Scroll down for links)
    News source: DriverHeaven

Official Links

ATI has released a new ATI Catalyst drivers (release notes / download) bringing them up to version 5.8.

The package contains:
    RADEON display driver 8.162,
    Multimedia Center 9.08,
    Catalyst Control Center 5.8 (requires .NET Version 1.1 Framework),
    HydraVision Basic Edition 3.25.9006,
    Remote Wonder 3.02,
    WDM version 8.15 (6317),
    Southbridge/IXP Driver.

Has anyone tried them?

Has anyone tryed tyhis drivers already? What are your conclusions?
    Should one move from 5.7 to 5.8?

Greetings from the country of Sun

I'd look to the release notes to see if it fixes any issues you were having with the previous Release. After that its about performance improvements (usually in the most latest chips), benchmarks from review sites are bound to show differences, its a matter of waiting for them to do it

ATI Catalyst 5.8 Performance Analysis

Tweaktown has posted their performance analysis of Catalyst 5.8 against the previous version on low, mid and high-end Radeon cards.

excerpt:
    There we have it - a new set of Catalyst drivers from ATI that haven't done much in the way of performance but the HUGE list of fixes make them one of the better releases we have seen for a while. There is no doubt as we see Crossfire hit the streets that ATI will be putting a lot of effort into its performance as nVidia have had a huge jump on them and ATI want to make sure that Crossfire puts a dent in nVidias multi cards sales as quickly as possible. We have already started seeing cards around Australia with Crossfire Enabled stickers on them so we don't think it will be far away.

There should be a fix in the latest drivers for everyone and it would be worth the upgrade to the Catalyst 5.8's this time around especially if it's been a few months since you have taken the plunge and are still running older drivers.

I've tried..

..and yes, these drivers are a must. My Batlefield2 runs mutch better now in my AGP X800XT PE

Greetings from the country of Sun!

Nothing but issues with my Radeon 9600 xt all in wonder, I cannot record TV while I am at work
    I come home to a nice error message, I can't remember what it was, I had similar problems with 5.7 and 5.8 and I use media center 9.08
    ATI needs to learn to simplify their driver and software package, I have dot net 1.1 installed as well

I ether format and reinstal or rip out this card and plug in my gforce fx 5700 and my win tv pvr card
    The only thing I did was run an old 14 inch monitor since my 19 inch packed it in
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Quote Originally Posted by format c:
    .. ATI needs to learn to simplify their driver and software package, I have dot net 1.1 installed as well..
    Catalyst 5.8 installed over here & running 'better'

.. but on the bit I just requoted, I've got to agree , & !'d say unless you have dual screen or (sadly for you) a multifunction card (as media centre is also a nightmare for 'working right-ness'), just don't bother with the 'twidddly bits' & get the standard driver instead. The 'dot net' bit adds approx. a 5% penalty performance wise (& that's when its not annoying the hell out of your firewall with stupid '.net' broadcasts, sucking up even more cpu cycles).

I just checked ATI's site and you only need the .net if your going to install the Catalyst control center
    And M$ says better scalabilty and performance , Ya right , I wish Linux supported this card and my Win TV then I would switch over on this box
    For now I pulled the card and went backwards to my 256 meg gforce fx5700 on this box and my win TV card
    I know the Radeon is faster but the software from ATI is unreliable, I had the same issues on my Intel board as well
    When I changed boards I formatted and reinstalled XP home
    Thanks all for the replies
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )