Using Compaq easy access keyboard on a non Compaq PC

Thread: Using Compaq easy access keyboard on a non Compaq PC

Using Compaq easy access keyboard on a non Compaq PC

I have managed to acquire a Compaq easy access keyboard which I had hoped to use with my rather older machine running Win98SE. The PC I have is a home built PC and is not a Compaq machine.

After having downloaded the drivers for the easy access keyboard from the internet, I installed them and tried to setup the 8 buttons to do what I wanted.

I find, however, that I am unable to get any of the buttons to access either an application or a URL.

During the installation process, it asks me which Compaq machine is closest to what I have. I have tried reinstalling and selecting different options, all to no avail.

Do the drivers not work because I am not using a Compaq machine? This seems incredible to me!

If this is the case, is there any other way that I can get the 8 buttons to work?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome! I recently worked on compaq pc with 98SE on it with the same keyboard that you have. Any chance you got the drivers or program install from Compaq's site? Thats where i found mine and when I installed all I had the same prob and this was with a complete Compaq system. Did you notice that in your control panel there was an icon there for the keyboard and thats where you set the buttons but it did not work for me even when I went elsewhere and found the software at another site. This may not help your problem but is good to know that even on a Compaq system it did not work.
    Don't Worry be Happy! Things could always be Worse..There is a fix for everything!

Actually, pcgal, it does appear to be working now (for some unknown reason). Having said that though, it is not always operational. It would appear that if the driver is loaded later in the startup sequence, then the buttons will work ok.
    I am investigating whether or not it is possible to change the order in which start up applications are loaded on Win98SE, but not much luck so far. If it comes down to it, I may have to load it manually once booted up, but I would have preferred it to be automatic.
    Maybe you could try this on your system.
    Thanks for the reply

I would love to be able to help you by trying it on my system but this was a system I was repairing at the time and my customer decided to go out and buy a new one so I no longer have access to it Sorry. You should make another seperate post though about your question of start up. Good luck!
    Don't Worry be Happy! Things could always be Worse..There is a fix for everything!