Was FAT32 & NTFS a good idea?

Thread: Was FAT32 & NTFS a good idea?

Was FAT32 & NTFS a good idea?

I've just built a "new" computer and loaded XP onto it. The partition that XP is on is formatted to NTFS and there is a second partition formatted to FAT32 for document/picture storage. The reason I made the FAT32 partition was to make any future file-retrieving easier (I've had problems dealing with NTFS and recovery before).

The question is, was I wise to do that? Will there be any potential problems with having one drive with 2 different partition types? Any comments would be welcome so I can rectify the situation if necessary.

I'm just curious as I have always previously just made it one big NTFS partition and backed-up frequently, but the users of this PC are novice to say the least and probably wouldn't do it or wouldn't know how.

It was commented on that XP was a lot prettier than ME was! And, ooooo I like the colours.

I've done the same thing myself for much the same reasons, and with my own system too. A lot of the reason for partitions is so that different file systems and operating systems can be accommodated on one drive. So there is no inherent problem with doing this, other than the natural advantages and disadvantages of each file system.

If they get into video editing or DVD ISOs the 4GB filesize limit on FAT32 is a limitation.

Thanks for the reply. I presume you've never had any issues with recovering data or anything else. I'll go with it at the moment and tell them to write the pictures to a CD occasionally (I think they're the most important thing on there).

The odd occasions where I've needed to do some data recovery, I've been glad of the simplicity of FAT, and the availability of reasonably capable, free, recovery software. Recordable DVDs have been a good thing to encourage backups.

I partition my hard disk into only NTFS partitions. Since Win98, I've never needed FAT32, other than for the dual-boot I have with 98 + XP.

My stuff is always backed up and I'd think NTFS would have less of a chance of ending up with data being corrupt than FAT32?

FAT32 is pretty awful in terms of reliability (i.e. data corruption). I'd certainly jettison it. Convert will uh... convert it for you. You really should not have a problem with data recovery if you use appropriate software. Norton SystemWorks 2003, for instance wouldn't cut it, but GetDataBack for NTFS would work very well. Should also mention a handy procedure called "backing up your data" in this context.

As I said previously, the users of the PC are pretty much incompetent with computers, bar maybe writing a document or printing some digital pictures. I don't see them bothering to backup even if I told them to.

All comments are welcome though since I'm trying to obtain a general opinion on what I've setup.

if their pc is on at all times, they could have an automated backup system, so that certain files/folders are backed up at a specified time.

I'd thought about scheduling something like that to run but there's nowhere other than a CDRW to send the data to and the PC is only on for max 1h each day (and probably not even every day) during which time they only want to check email and maybe surf some internet. I could try and persuade them to buy a external disk for backup but chances of a yes vote are slim.

Yeah, I deal with LOTS of Seniors in my area. They will cry for days over losing photos or genealogy info. But won't back up squat. First of all, run Convert on that dang FAT partition.

Second really have a heart-to-heart with these folk about backing up files. Really just copying, you know. There are some decent free programs that will set up a backup job they can run with a mouse click or two. Check download.com or Tucows. Heck, if they keep all their important stuff in in a master folder and sub-folders, they can just drag the top level folder to their burner or other backup device and copy it that way. Depending on quantity of data a USB pendrive may be perfect.

Third; NEVER sell anyone an external hard drive as their sole means of backup. All hard drives fail sooner or later. When they fail is just a question of luck, and data recovery from an external drive is usually much harder and more expensive than an internal drive. Think about it. You want to sell someone a backup solution to protect against a hard drive crash, so you use another hard drive? Sorry, good for supplemental backups only.

Finally, as Buddha observed; "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Sometimes you just can't win, and customers have to take the consequences of their actions.

Actually, reviewing your posts, it doesn't look like the content of their drive (including treasured photos) changes that often. Perhaps if you just walked them through copying these files one time, the single copy might last them for months or even years. Great chance to be a hero!

Nah, there'd be family photos taken occasionally (I did actually spot the use of a CDRW tonight) so I'd imagine backups wouldnt be needed often. I'm yet to decide about the 2 partitions though...

Two partitions are fine. Just get the FAT partition into NTFS as soon as you can! Credit where credit is due, MS would not have migrated the file system from FAT to NTFS without a good reason.
    Last edited by slgrieb; August 19th, 2005 at 06:10 PM. Reason: expansion

Look, NTFS is much more robust and resistant to data corruption than FAT. Platypus and I have both led you to culture... so?

I have to admit, I'm tempted to leave it the way it is to see how it works out, but I guess I should go for the more responsible, secure option and convert it over. May as well just swap it into one big drive if I do that so I'll need to look out partition magic...