bartpe

Thread: bartpe

bartpe

With bartPE I can't seem to get the virus scanner or my network (more then likely because I can't seem to figure out the drivers to run the ethernet card) to work. Is there another antivirus I can use with it? Is there a wat to make it so you can use the system tools like the system restore?

Edit: Can this be used on other systems or just on the one it is created with? I'm primarily interested in the virus scanner, data recovery and spyware reomoval tools in which the spyware and virus scanner I'm having trouble getting to work. I guess what I'm looking for is something on the lines of wininternals, for free.
    Last edited by Kodiak; August 19th, 2005 at 01:39 PM.

Kodiak,

I use my BartPE CD for alot of fixing of different PC's... if I have an XP box that comes in that won't boot properly, I can start it from the BartPE CD and run various programs like chkdsk, McAfee Command Line Scanner, Ghost and safely connect virus/worm/trojan infected PC's to our network to back up files, run even more tools from my USB stick (as long as I plug it in before I boot it from BartPE, BartPE will see it a load it) etc. I even found a plugin for BartPE that will let me load parts of the PC's registry from the hard drive so that I can edit the registry to fix various problems. It is a great tool in my "PC fixing arsenal"!!!

After much reading, I have figured out how to add different NIC drivers and SCSI drivers to the CD, plus also add programs to it as well. The programs are harder than the drivers to add, so I can just put them on my USB stick before boot up for the most part.

If you have any further questions, I'll try to help you with them.

Snow
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies!

The main reason I want to use this for is to boot unbootable systems, scan for spyware, scan for viruses, recovery data, use system restore on XP. So far I have been able to scan for spyware and recover data. I can laso use McAfee stinger but thats it on virus scaners even though I have tried several that call themselves plugins. Sees it in the creation but then there are errors and it is allways the virus scanner. Any good plugin virus scanners you can point me to and ideas on the other things I would like to do with it. I borrowed a winternals disk to recover a system the other day and I like the way it worked however it did me no good in the recovery because it locked on setting up the network and would go no further. Anyway I would like to get it as close to winternals as possible.

Well I have both antivir and avast working now. How can you keep the definitions up to date? Any way to access system restore on XP with it and revert back.

Hi Kodiak,

The way I keep the definitions up-to-date with the McAfee Command Line Scanner is to put the folder on my USB stick, that way I can keep them right up-to-date, just plug it in before booting the BartPE Cd.

As for System Restore, I don't think that is possible due to the fact that it needs to restore from the System Volume Information folder, which we know is a "special" folder. Be that as it may, I haven't seen any plugins for BartPE along that line.

Snow

I will have to figure that out. Does this work the same for the spyware updates. I didn't see any options to update when I ran it on a PC last night but I new it was up to date. (avast) I was almost sure there was a virus on this machine but it came up with nothing. How truely effective do you think this software is for antivirus detection and removal. Anyone. I would like to get Kaspersky running on it.

I use the Ad-Aware plugin that comes with BartPE. I noticed that when I run the Ad-aware from the BartCD, it copies the exe and the def.ref to the RAM Disk B: and then starts the program. So all I do is cancel it and copy in the newest def.ref, then run the exe file and it loads the latest definitions.

Could Norton 8 be used to back up the entire system to a external drive? I'm researching backing up customers systems, working on them at there home, for file recovery purposes after there systems have been reformated. I will hang onto the info for a few weeks for them.

Well I did a test on spyware removal. My kids PC had 17critical objects and I did not remove them, I went in with BartPe and the network works so I update adaware and ran it and it found nothing, I came back out and ran adaware again and it found the 17 critical object again and this confirms to me that adaware at the least is not effective using it this way. I'm also concerned about the rest of the plugins and trusting this software to be effective in spyware and virus removal and the customers I service there PC's for.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    Could Norton 8 be used to back up the entire system to a external drive? I'm researching backing up customers systems, working on them at there home, for file recovery purposes after there systems have been reformated. I will hang onto the info for a few weeks for them.
    I backup and image from an external USB HDD using Ghost. Works a treat