Server 2003 + Domain Controller + SP1 = Broke?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Server 2003 + Domain Controller + SP1 = Broke?

Exclamation Server 2003 + Domain Controller + SP1 = Broke?

So far, I've had zero luck with this, but again I'm trying this out to make sure I haven't missed something.

Clean install of Server 2003.
    Apply SP1
    Promote to DC (added to our 2000 Domain)
    After a reboot or 3, it will no longer replicate, and if you r-click/properties Network Places, there's no NIC's listed.

So far, this has happened on two different boxes.

Anyone else run into this? Any tips?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kannibul
    So far, I've had zero luck with this, but again I'm trying this out to make sure I haven't missed something.

Clean install of Server 2003.
    Apply SP1
    Promote to DC (added to our 2000 Domain)
    After a reboot or 3, it will no longer replicate, and if you r-click/properties Network Places, there's no NIC's listed.

So far, this has happened on two different boxes.

Anyone else run into this? Any tips?

Thanks!
    2k3, promo, then sp1, i've not had any problems.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    2k3, promo, then sp1, i've not had any problems.
    I've done it both ways...

Same result. Seems like the 3rd reboot after promo-reboot, it drops the network connections, and won't replicate.

I'll see if I can post the errors in the log...

Hmm - nope - I have to uninstall the Service Pack first, otherwise, I have to use that odd thing called "paper"...

I've got another server loading in my office, so if it repeats itself, I can at least type it in without having to go in the server room...

Basically what it looks like, is that SP1 prevents a lot of things from happening.

I found the Machine Account for the new DC disabled, no connections in Sites and Services to the other two DC's, and even after uninstalling SP1, I still couldn't get it to work. I re-enabled the account, still no go, reset the password on the AD account, then ran NETDOM resetpwd on the new DC, and still no go. Looking in ASDIEDIT, I could see that it was logging a LOT of bad passwords in AD - I was up to 72 by the time I gave up.

I ended up having to use ntdsutil to do a metadata cleanup for that server :/

I'll just rebuild this box, and make sure I never load anything on these DC's <sigh>

Why don't you slipstream SP1 and then do a clean install??? Leaves the sytem cleaner to start with.
    Anyway I would suspect NIC adapter/driver issues, not so much . Try replacing the NIC or updating the driver, see if it does it again.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Why don't you slipstream SP1 and then do a clean install??? Leaves the sytem cleaner to start with.
    Anyway I would suspect NIC adapter/driver issues, not so much . Try replacing the NIC or updating the driver, see if it does it again.
    I think the NIC is fine - drivers for these nics are part of Server 2003 drivers.

I've tried this with two different servers with different hardware configurations. Same result.

Got any freeware ISO builders/burners - I'd love to make a slipstream of it...

As for my PC - I have a burner, but no software (old burner, and I work for the public sector)
    Last edited by kannibul; August 22nd, 2005 at 01:55 PM.

Submitted a ticket with MS. It'll be interesting to find out what's causing this issue...

During the ticket creation (via email), I went through and wiped the system, reloaded 2003, promoted it, then loaded SP1. It bombed after the SP1 reboot.

Think CeeBee is right here, but what NICS are you using? I have just never encountered any SP1-specific issues with any Server 2003 installations.

The only other thing I can think of off hand, is that you should assign an IP address to the machine instead of using DNS, but I bet you already did that.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Also, I was asked to pass this KB article along for you to have a read over.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Also, I was asked to pass this KB article along for you to have a read over.
    Already ran ADPREP

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Think CeeBee is right here, but what NICS are you using? I have just never encountered any SP1-specific issues with any Server 2003 installations.

The only other thing I can think of off hand, is that you should assign an IP address to the machine instead of using DNS, but I bet you already did that.
    Both servers that I have done this with (haven't done it with others yet) - have different NIC's - both are 3com. I know one is a 905BTX - I don't remember the other at the moment.

The thing is, they work fine as a Windows 2000 Server, as a Server 2003 Server, as a Server 2003 DC, but not as a Server 2003 + DC + SP1. Seems that Server 2003 + SP1 also causes some issues as well, but I'm having to work on a LOT of issues at the moment, and I can't focus on this enough to really give you much detail.

If your NIC doesn't show in device manager you have a hardware-related issue. Without the NIC you won't see any DC functionality working properly. It wouldn't be the first time when built-in drivers are crap. Maybe load the ones from 3com instead of the built-in. Also the event log might throw some light on what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    If your NIC doesn't show in device manager you have a hardware-related issue. Without the NIC you won't see any DC functionality working properly. It wouldn't be the first time when built-in drivers are crap. Maybe load the ones from 3com instead of the built-in. Also the event log might throw some light on what is happening.
    Everything starts working again once SP1 is uninstalled though.

Drivers get uninstalled too... remember how XP SP2 breaks Firewire drivers...