how do i install modem drivers

Thread: how do i install modem drivers

Hybrid View

how do i install modem drivers

hi, i need to find out how to install modem drivers for a dell optiplex gx115, slim. i have the modem with cd drivers, but the 'read first' file is incomplete so far as detailed instructions. i do understand the drivers have to be installed at the DOS prompt prior to intalling the modem itself. but how do i get to DOS and what info to type in at the DOS prompt to load the drivers is a total mystery to me...any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks.
    (step by step details please)
    Last edited by NooNoo; August 23rd, 2005 at 03:32 AM.

Welcome to Windrivers dragondave. I edited out your email address, if people want to email they can use the board facility to do it. Windrivers prefers that all replies and questions are put on the board so that others can see what the problem was and how it was solved.

First of all, what operating system do you have on the dell? Do I assume that the modem was not supplied with the dell? If so, what exact modem is it?

When you answer these questions, you will get a step by step answer. If you are running a windows operating system, it is highly unlikely you install your drivers in DOS.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo Noo, The O/S Is: Windows 2000 Professional, And The Modem Is: Intel 56k Pci Data/fax 56k N9 (BOUGHT SEPERATLY ON EBAY, came With A Driver Cd To Load Drivers, But Didn't Load Properly). Thank You,,,, Dave
    Last edited by dragondave; August 25th, 2005 at 02:57 PM.

ok, you said it didn't load properly... what happened?

Put the cd in your drive and use explorer to look at the folders and files.... what do you have listed there?

You need to find a file ending .inf on the cd. If there is one right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, click on device manager. Do you have any unknown devices shown there, or any with a ! or a ? next to them? Do you have a pci simple communications device listed?

if this is the modem you have

this is the driver download for it.

Try installing the driver from the download. If it doesn't work, go back into device manager, remove the simple pci communications device or the device with ! or ? next to it, reboot and try installing the driver again
    Last edited by NooNoo; August 27th, 2005 at 06:39 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."