Remote Desktop Problems ... rehashed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop Problems ... rehashed

Remote Desktop Problems ... rehashed

I searched thru the previous posts on RD but didn't see one that applied to my problem.

I have a desktop machine running XP Pro SP2, and a Dell laptop running XP Pro SP2. I had RD working quite well until I re-installed my laptop. The desktop still works just fine. I can connect to it and use it to connect to my parents machine. I am behing a Zyxel P-334WT and it is setup for Port Forward/Trigger to 3389. The laptop on the other hand absolutely refuses to work for some reason. All components are installed, the necessary services are running. It attempts to connect and I get "The client could not connect to the remote computer." Says the remote machine might be too busy to accept connections. Can someone give me a hand here?

Phaetos

Oh yeh, and pray that damn hurricane dissipates before it makes landfall. I'm in Baton Rouge and will get a good hit from it after it smacks New Orleans.
    Last edited by Phaeton; August 28th, 2005 at 01:33 PM.

Could it be because I can't seem to browse my local network either. I can't browse the network, but I can connect to the shares on the desktop if I create a shortcut such as \\Imzadi\Downloads\ that will work. But I can't browse thru network neighborhood on either the laptop or the desktop. Filesharing is turned on but it won't show the shares. Could this be related?

I found this on MS's site about my Updates. "Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)". I was going to uninstall it, but it isn't listed in my Add/Remove Programs as it should be, in fact all updates are missing from there, but MS's site shows they have all been installed.

Alright. Now this is just getting wierd. I downloaded the seperate update for RD. Installed it, rebooted, and it STILL doesn't show in Add/Remove and RD stil doesn't work. Now I still can't remove it to see if the update is the problem or not.

Ok, I'm getting somewhere. Found this on the MS "Support" site.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321624

Problem is, it says a Hotfix is available. but the link goes to the Call-In Support number for MS. That is just cruel. Now where is the damn hotfix?

Nobody?

Did you change the laptop's computer name when you rebuilt it?

Have you verified security settings for RDP?

Are you trying to connect by name or ip address? Are you using dhcp? Are your computers in the same workgroup? If they arnt have you setup accounts in each machine for access security? Is either pc running a firewall? Has either pc had a firewall installed since the last format? Ive found some firewall even after uninstalling the firewall to have persistant settings that will stop file and print sharing ..even RDS. Can you ping from both pc's?

Imzadi? From STNG?
    Get me a soldering iron and some duct tape, and I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moostang
    Did you change the laptop's computer name when you rebuilt it?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimbre
    Have you verified security settings for RDP?
    Yes, Administrator and the local account on both machines are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidn
    Are you trying to connect by name or ip address? Are you using dhcp? Are your computers in the same workgroup? If they arnt have you setup accounts in each machine for access security? Is either pc running a firewall? Has either pc had a firewall installed since the last format? Ive found some firewall even after uninstalling the firewall to have persistant settings that will stop file and print sharing ..even RDS. Can you ping from both pc's?
    1) IP
    2) No, static addy's
    3) Yes
    4) Yes
    5) No
    6) Nope
    7) Yes

Since you are using a static IP, double check your TCP/IP settings, especially since your second post makes it look like you are having network issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Moostang
    Since you are using a static IP, double check your TCP/IP settings, especially since your second post makes it look like you are having network issues.
    What's left to check? I've already made sure they are on the same subnet, right gateway's, etc.