DVD-ROM weird problem

Thread: DVD-ROM weird problem

DVD-ROM weird problem

Hi yous guys I'm new here (I know you've read this several times hehe) and I'm desperately seeking for help.

My DVD-ROM/CD-writer is malfunctioning. I can perfectly WATCH DVD'S but there's a problem with the sound. The music (usually not the dialogues) is always out of pace and out of sync. Even with music CD's it's the same problem. That has never happened to me before, it was perfectly working two days ago. Bummer that I just bought 6 DVD movies and the sound is crappy. Too crappy. I've tested it several times and it must be the DVD-ROM, though my father told me it could be a software issue, memory-related, but well, I'm not sure about that since nothing's changed and it used to work.

I read somewhere it could be the lens. Well I bought a lens cleaner and I cleaned it, but the problem's still there. I'm afraid my DVD-ROM's dying... But it is not old at all, so I might have a little hope (I hope!).

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Windrivers Starian

It could be the cable connecting your dvd drive to the motherboard, it could be spyware build up causing a processor slow down.

Nothing has to apparently change, but things change daily in a computer. Something didn't close right, something didn't install right...

Do you have a thin analogue sound cable connecting your dvd rom to the motherboard as well as the 40 pin ribbon cable?
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 9th, 2005 at 04:54 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by starian
    ..My DVD-ROM/CD-writer is malfunctioning. I can perfectly WATCH DVD'S but there's a problem with the sound. The music (usually not the dialogues) is always out of pace and out of sync. Even with music CD's it's the same problem...
    So its not your dvd then physically .. its something else slowing matters down/not working right, else it wouldn't read at all, certainly not well enough to produce picture, so I'll side with your dad & say its software somehows..

Perhaps try downloading this, Klite Mega Codec pack to eliminate one possibility?; incorrect codecs (which windows will & can update itself), these are the bits of s/w that translate the compacted signals into either sound or vision, & 'better' codecs mean better playback (windows update isn't very smart about this though & will introduce some codecs that decrease performance for some systems) - There's also a 'lightweight' player included in this pack, 'media player classic' which has a fair bit less overhead than many other players (certainly WMP), try that, & see if there's a difference.