Code 10 Error

Thread: Code 10 Error

Angry Code 10 Error

I am running windows xp sp-2. When I try to load the driver for my gps, (prolific usb to serial port). I get a code 10 error. this device can not start.
    I have the most recent driver. Can anyone help !

EWCJRC, code 10 means you ran out of resources. To help you please post the motherboard make and model, what pci/agp cards you have in which slots.

You could try turning off unused onboard hardware in bios to free up some resources.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Code 10 Error

It's A Hp Pavillion Ze4400 Laptop....... That's All I Know! I'm Not Too Computer Savy...

Groan, laptops and code 10...

OK, first stop, go to here to hp and click on the detect button - you have to do this with your laptop. The reason is, if you put in the model number you gave me, there are a gazillion variations and it is important to work out which is which.

Often laptop code 10's are sorted by updating the chipset drivers and updating the bios. Sometimes there are other updates which also affect the way usb works. If you cannot detect it, then use Everest in my signature to provide a report. We need to know exactly which model it is and Everest should be able to tell you that.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking The Code 10 Error

Quote Originally Posted by EWCJRC
    I am running windows xp sp-2. When I try to load the driver for my gps, (prolific usb to serial port). I get a code 10 error. this device can not start.
    I have the most recent driver. Can anyone help !
    Reply: The error code 10 is caused by sever error in installation. maybe you have connected a device in that port so it is not detected properly nor the device driver you are trying to install is not compatible to that device. maybe the driver of the device does not have the WHQ'logo or Digitally Signed.

Welcome to Windrivers Travisjohn Novio.

I agree code 10 can be an error in installation of either the hardware or the software... and can be a poorly written or incompatible driver, however the WHQL logo or lack of will not be the "cause" of a code 10.

WHQL drivers are those that Microsoft have approved. There are many unapproved drivers out there, the vast majority of which are perfectly good.

In most instances code 10 comes down to lack of chipset drivers or lack of resouces and often in laptops and cheap devices, lack of sustainable, stable voltage to or from the device. Often code 10s can be cured by just installing drivers in the right order... finding the order is the tricky bit