Problems Burning DVD's

Thread: Problems Burning DVD's

Unhappy Problems Burning DVD's

This past xmas I received a Lite-On 16x External DVD+/-R +/-RW Drive. And it was great. About a month ago, though, I experienced some major problems. For some reason while using Nero Vision Express 2, the program would go through the whole process of "burning" the video clip, but I noticed that my burner was not working: the light was not flashing and it was not making any of the usual noise. When it got to the end of the process, the disc popped out and the program said to insert a blank disc. No matter how many different disc I put in, it would still say "insert a disc." I ended up having to cancel the burn. When I would go look under my computer, the drive would be listed as a CD-Drive. However, it would still play DVD's, burn CD's and play CD's. Then I thought I found a shortcut around the problem. I found that VOB files would burn (the drive would actually make noise and the light would flash) so I began using a two step process to make DVD's: first I would use Nero Vision Express 2 to create a file saved on my hard drive and then I would use Nero Express to burn the DVD-Video Files. Everything seemed fine, until I played the disc in my DVD player (which was also a xmas gift that played all the DVD's I burned.) About 45 minutes or so into the DVD, the picture would freeze and jump, making the disc completly unwatchable. So I figured that I might have over used my burner or that it was a cheap brand (I never heard of Lite-On). So I went out a purchased a Sony DRX-720UL External Burner. Unfortunatly, the problems still existed. I am not sure what to do from here. I am running Windows XP-SP2. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I really miss my burner and would like to use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by pencraft
    .. So I went out a purchased a Sony DRX-720UL External Burner. Unfortunatly, the problems still existed..
    Hi pencraft & welcome to wd forums.

I requoted the bit above, as it says to me, that your problems are almost certainly software related. However there's quite a bit can go wrong with dvd writing in windows, due to all the various different layers involved, but at least for once we can probably assume all the kit is working correctly.

So having made sure all windows updates are applied, first place to start is probably by running System file checker & performing a full check, then visit this forums sticky, & post me/us up the results of the 'filter load order tool' & we'll see where that information can take us.

(btw if you had nero installed before applying sp2, I'd take the trouble to add/remove nero now & see if that makes any difference)

Thank you soo much! I uninstalled Nero and then reinstalled and ... so far so good. Thank you very much for your help. You don't know how happy I am to finally have a functioning burner. I'll be back if it turns out to be another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pencraft
    ..uninstalled Nero and then reinstalled and ... so far so good. Thank you very much ...
    You are welcome I'm sure , hope it stays working ok for you