Exchange's Systemmailbox

Thread: Exchange's Systemmailbox

Exchange's Systemmailbox

On my server (win2k server) I am running Exchange 2000 (sp1) I have a mailbox called SystemMailbox, now I realize this is probably a required mailbox, but I was wondering if someone could give me a small explanation of what it is used for, is it a redirector of some sorts?
    I am just a bit concerened because I see that is has 1000+ mail items in it, and I don't know if this is something I need to clear out, and I don't know how to do it since for some reason I don't even have the option to purge that mailbox from the server.

here is a good explanation check the comments below particularly

#re: Exchange Special Mailboxes Part 1 - System Mailbox
    The size of my SystemMailbox is 1,256 items using 2,609 KB. Is all of this stuff necessary?
    Sunday, January 09, 2005 2:55 PM by Shon Katzenberger
    # re: Exchange Special Mailboxes Part 1 - System Mailbox
    Shon -

Not knowing exactly what's making up the additional items in that mailbox above and beyond the standard schema definitions, I can't really tell you if it's all necessary. That said, things don't randomly get put into the SystemMailbox, so if it's in there it probably belongs there. Plus, 2.6mb is not a particularly large size; I would leave it as is.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."