Soundblaster 5.1

Thread: Soundblaster 5.1

Soundblaster 5.1

A friend has a 5.1 sound system with a soundblaster live 5.1 and for some reason you can run a test and it will run all 5 but if you try and play music it will only play on 4 speakers. Speakers are set on 5.1. If we set it on digital all he gets is static. I know it's just setting but where are we going wrong. The speakers are set up according to directions. Frount and rear are hooked up to the 2 ports near the joystick port and center speaker is plugged into the port near other end. This is the user guide. http://files.americas.creative.com/m...90/English.pdf

Smile

I also have a Creative 5.1 Live Card with speakers, and one of the five
    will not work but will in test. I just thought maybe to share my dillema and also find out why??? I have a dvd drive and watch movies and listen to music
    and no matter what the event That paticuler speaker will not spurt but will
    hum lightly.
    Last edited by xpuser357; September 14th, 2005 at 10:22 PM.

Thats about the same thing he gets. Alittle hiss like it is working but no other sound comes out. Movies, music or games produce nothing. The plug that it is plugged into is the farthest from the joy stick plug that is not working right.

When I test the voice will say Center, front right, front left ,rear right,rear left
    I also have a bass box that came with speakers.I did hear it once on the boat movie where the motor sound went panaramar. The center speaker is the problem child.

Center not working I have not figured out but as for the digital I think I have that one figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    A friend has a 5.1 sound system with a soundblaster live 5.1 and for some reason you can run a test and it will run all 5 but if you try and play music it will only play on 4 speakers. Speakers are set on 5.1...
    Hang on .. this making me confus-ed ! 5.1 systems have 6 speakers, & if you've only got five then that's surround sound ?, & you have four orbital speakers & a bass box ?

I have 5 speakers and a bass box

I have a bass box with all the connections. Coming off my sound card to bass box then speakers from bass box (connections) also a remote to turn speakers and bass off or turn up higher, on bass box I have knob to increase bass

Yes he also has a similar setup. 5 speakers with a bass. We was able to get it to work on 5 now with advanced speaker settings on movies with power dvd but unable to do so in WMP. I see no audio settings in WMP. Surround sound is correct.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9067
    Last edited by Kodiak; September 17th, 2005 at 08:49 AM.

So having established that we do have 5.1 speaker setups, with 6 speakers, & I was just getting confus-ed ... ..

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    ..We was able to get it to work on 5 now with advanced speaker settings on movies with power dvd but unable to do so in WMP
    Creative drivers are a right royal pain ! Can you deduce whether you've got any of the extra s/w that creative cards 'need', like ctloader.exe & that accursed Devldr.exe 'thingees' (just what these actually do is a matter of debate, but some systems need 'em running & some don't) runing in the background (question applies to both kodiac & xpuser, who's making me confus-ed by asking nearly the same at the same time !)
    Last edited by confus-ed; September 18th, 2005 at 03:10 AM.

I can hit ctrl alt delete and watch processes and I do not see those two
    items you mentioned Do I need them or one of them??

My system board Intel D845WN with 1 gig ram pentium 4 (2.0 gig)
    Running XP Home 80 gig harddrive ,DVD rom, DVD burning rom, burning rom.
    500 watt power supply

Make sure you have the sound card set to 5.1 speakers in the Creative software and then also go to Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel. For some reason, at least with my experience, you usually have to set in both places to make sure everything's in sync.

I`ll give that a try thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    ..Do I need them or one of them??
    CTloader & Devldr are supposed to do just what the Duke of Rezin just mentioned, but not where he says to look, but in 'audiohq' (which if installed correctly should show in control panel) - do we have this ? or are you trying to get this going by using the 'driver only' package available via the web ..?

If this is what you've done, try the original cd that came with the card which ought to load all this extra s/w & then update the driver only via windows update (folks often miss it out considering it 'bloatware' {extra features not really needed} but then discover that creatives driver sets are 'pants' & if you want all the 'twiddly bits' then this is the only way you'll get 'em)