Wireless Speed Issue

Thread: Wireless Speed Issue

Wireless Speed Issue

I have a Dell Latitude D410 and a Latitude X200 laptop. The 410 has the integrated wireless g, the x200 has a Netgear Wireless B PCMCIA card. I have noticed that the x200 is noticeably quicker at transferring to my desktop (wired) and is also much better at handling streaming video. If I plug an ethernet cord into the 410, it is super quick. Wireless isn't no where near as quick as the card in my x200. I downloaded the latest drivers from Dell for the 410. Same issue. Any suggestions on what might be happening???

Quote Originally Posted by mhubbard
    ... Wireless isn't no where near as quick as the card in my x200...
    So huh ? what do you mean "suggestions on what might be happening" at the risk of stating the obvious, one goes faster than the other !

Wireless 'b' is 11mb/s, 'g' is 54 mb/s & most likely any wired NIC is 100mb/s

Your X200 has a 'b' based wifi card, i.e. 11mp/s max, whereas your D410 has 'g' based wifi, i.e. 54mb/s, simply that is why you are noticing the large difference in speed, get a 'g' based wifi card for your x200 and you are all set

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Your X200 has a 'b' based wifi card, i.e. 11mp/s max, whereas your D410 has 'g' based wifi, i.e. 54mb/s, simply that is why you are noticing the large difference in speed, get a 'g' based wifi card for your x200 and you are all set
    OK let me back up here...I know the differences between the speeds very well...My post may have been confusing......

I have a Netgear Wireless B Router
    My X200 with a Wireless B card works great and transfers quick enough for me
    My D410 with Wireless G is slow at transferring, internet slower, streaming video slower

My point is that the my shiny new D410 should be just as speedy as my x200. I know with my router being a B, then the D410 will only perform at B speeds even though it is capable of G. But still should work as well. It performs slower and it shouldn't.

We on the same page now????

Thanks

If the G router is "seeing" the B connection, it will slow down to the B speed... but your description now says that the G is even slower than the B... in which case I would look to what else is using your bandwidth on that connect... trojan, spyware etc.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

One other thing, when the D410 is connected, is it connecting at full 11mb/s ? It can connect at slower rates of 5.5mbps and lower.