2000 Server AD Issue

Thread: 2000 Server AD Issue

Exclamation 2000 Server AD Issue

Hi there.

I realize this is the Server 2003 forum, but there isn't a 2000 Server forum and this is the closest one to a server area so...here goes.

Our domain server has been crashing a lot lately. The problem with THAT part of it seems to have been resolved, however, the Active Directory has been "disabled" to the point where none of the services will run (DHCP server, DNS server, WINS server, etc.). When I try to access the AD control panels (policies, etc.) it says that the server is not operational.

Short of formatting/reinstalling, I'm at a loss as far as what to do about it goes. Associated services cannot be manually started (DHCP server, etc.).

My mojo is a no-go. :/

Help?
    Last edited by merlinsghost; September 12th, 2005 at 12:24 PM.

Can you post the actual message you get when trying to start dhcp or dns?
    Tried a parallel install?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

General info first off:

The DHCP server service isn't started - nor will it start. When I try to start it manually, it says that the protocol isn't installed. It is. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but to no success.

As a result of this, when I open the DHCP Sever control panel from the Administration menu, it says that the DHCP server is not operational, and can't connect.

For the DNS server, it says that there are no servers defined in the forest so it can't establish a connection to the domain.

As an added bonus, there are now three users who have their accounts locked out because of forgotten passwords. When I try to manage the Active Directory Users and Computers, it is says there is no Active Directory available.

I have tried rebooting and get "One or more services or drivers failed during startup, please check the event log, blah blah blah..." messages.

Subsequent viewing of the log garners the following messages:

1) The server was unable to register the administration tools discovery information. The administration tools may not be able to see this server. (W3SVC)

2) The Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service terminated with the following error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

3) The World Wide Web publishing service terminated with the following error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

4) The DHCP Server service terminated with the following error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

5) WINS could not initialize the administrator interface because of a problem with the Remoste Procedure Call (RPC) service. You may not be able to administer WINS. Make sure that the RPC service is running.

6) This Machine is a PDC of the domain athte root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp: <server name'.

There are more, but I think you get the idea.

One possibility I'm looking in to: This issue started after a software update for UPS Worldship, so I've contacted them for any known issues.

lack of storage seems to be a theme... page file corrupt?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

How about HDD space...

cleanup all temp files

Server 2003 pretty much grinds to a halt when there's no storage space
    "GOOD 2 GO"