ntdll.dll cannot load driver

Thread: ntdll.dll cannot load driver

ntdll.dll cannot load driver

Hi everybody,

I have a problem using Microsoft Reader 2.11 on PC. It gives the message "the application failed to initialize properly. Click OK to terminate the application." When I open event viewer - system to read the log, it says ntdll.dll cannot load device driver. Following the lead I check with Microsoft Support but cannot find any valid troubleshooting there.

If I (1) close down explorer.exe from the Task Manager, then (2) open Microsoft Reader, it can be opened successfully. After that, I can (3) re-open explorer.exe also from the Task Manager and Microsoft Reader continues to function.

If I start Windows XP in safe mode, Microsoft Reader can be normally opened.

I am using Windows XP SP2, Norton Antivirus + Utility.

I am much grateful if any can help guide me troubleshooting/solve above problem. Thanks in advance.

pham duy tu

Hi, welcome to wd forums.

..When I open event viewer - system to read the log, it says ntdll.dll cannot load device driver...
    Errr what driver can't it load ?

& I believe there's a slightly later version of microsoft reader ? 2.4 ? maybe that's for pocket pc & not windoze ..? (I dunno really as I don't use it) - you can check here anyway .

The fact though that reloading explorer.exe 'fixes it' must be important - however I'm a touch confus-ed on exactly whats happening, but I'll take a flying guess - that pressumably is doing something different either in terms of permissions or more likely what's perhaps getting allowed internally via your firewall ? (most folks don't realise but your firewall s/w can stop your own machine from talking to 'itself' !{as either 127.0.0.x, or 0.0.0.0 if you understand Ip addressing conventions}) & I think when you reload explorer, this is straightening out any timing issues or rule order mismatches ..

I think this is related perhaps it is looking for a previous file for startup which was on removable storage...?

I note people recommend updating video drivers and installing clear type, but ntdll is a file that loads storage devices...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    .. but ntdll is a file that loads storage devices...
    That & lots of other things, I think its involved in nearly all read & write operations - Inside the Native API - so I guess the full message will be revealing

Arrow ntdll.dll

Er.... apologies - I haven't had time to focus carefully enough on all of the comments - but I have seen one instance where a machine sprang forth with the "ntdll.dll error" message. I just couldn't crack the problem - but subsequently it WAS resolved ,and I was advised that the reason apparently was that one or more W2k-only apps were installed on an XP machine.
    Deviously cunning and difficult to spot eh?

Hope this helps - maybe not tho' ?

Hi everybody,

Thanks for yr help/advice. I have gone along with suggestions but still am unable to solve the problem. Some details for your help consideration:

+ Actually Microsoft Reader had been successfully (normally, I mean) opened about 8 ~ 10 times before it suddenly popped up that error message "(0xc0000005)" and "application popup ntdll.dll cannot open device driver". I also do not what driver is here. In the time between I didn't uninstall or install anything, nor I changed any setting.

Though I have uninstalled Microsoft Reader, downloaded new file (it's free) and installed it anew to its default folder more than 1 times, the problem is not cured. Another thing, to date I have been using it JUST FOR READING FREE ebooks so it is not issue of activation/non-activation.

And I think that it MUST be usable for all Windows as the newest version is just recently issued.

Even now, when I use the Task Manager to shut down explorer.exe then open Microsoft Reader before re-opening explorer.exe, I notice that it DOES appear in the "application" tab of Task Manager the line "Microsoft Reader is not responding" twice BEFORE it finally opens!

In despair I have even REINSTALLED fresh Windows XP SP2; and again MS Reader opened normally for ... 8-10 times only.

Wow! I am really at loss with it! Do you any further idea?

Thanks

Pham Duy Tu

Where are you opening the ebooks from? What was the last 2-4 books you opened...? I'm still thinking there is something amiss when loading the book...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I forgot to tell you how I open the e-books:
    + Normally I would only click the *.lit file and Microsoft Reader will pop up to open the book. The program itself does not have menu like File/Open/Close, etc.
    + After the problem arises, I cannot click the *.lit file to open it any more (the error message "application failed to initialize properly" pops up). So (as I told you) I have to shut down explorer.exe, then open Microsoft Reader exe file (from WinNC windows as at this time Start Menu, desktop icons, taskbar are all gone with explorer.exe!). When Microsoft Reader is opened, I re-open explorer.exe for the taskbar to re-appear. Then I drag a *.lit file from my WinNC or My Computer windows, hang it over the Microsoft Reader icon ON the taskbar, wait for MS Reader to pop up in full size and drop the *.lit file onto MS Reader. Only by this way can I read the book. Wow! A long process!

pham duy tu

ok... if you open reader without a lit file - does it open then? Have you tried to reassociate the lit files with reader?

Dear NooNoo,
    If I try to run reader without a lit file, it's same error message and the way to go round it (shutdown explorer.exe) is same, too. Yes, lit file is associated with reader (I've checked both it's open/view association).

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I gave that one already - plus this :-
    ..I have uninstalled Microsoft Reader, downloaded new file..
    So I guess that means :- "..tried that .." - but I'm still none the wiser, as he also seems to have done a fresh install ?..

I don't get why it works 8-10 times then quits... maybe pham needs to email ms on this.