About to kill my computer - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: About to kill my computer

Not sure you are going to like this suggestion... but how do you feel about formatting again, installing just the intel motherboard driver, then the sound driver. Then doing the other drivers and updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Which Sound driver? the one that makes my comp restart?

No, the one it's most likely to be the cadenza...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up I Got The Fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same issue with my onboard sound (SoundMax) on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Moboard. I tried everything.......and kept getting the driver not found! error!!! Well, my friends, I decided to just clear my CMOS and see what happens........ BAM!!! I booted up and it found my card and I was able to go thru the normal setup and it worked!!! I hope this helps all you poor people that have been suffering the same frustration as I was. ENJOY!!

hmmm hadn't thought of that... it would force windows to re-evaluate the hardware... so thanks gui guru and welcome to Windrivers.

Make sure System Restore has been turned off, and Machine has been re-booted, so the system dose not put the old config back in place. Than try installing your new drivers...
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

i've been having the same problem and have been searching for more than 2 weeks about this problem. the problem is with Intel® Desktop Board D875PBZ (also soundmax card). i have the intel desktop boards driver cd but there was no driver to installed from it. downloading the driver from intel's website made that "driver not found" error.

clearing the CMOS is the only new thing i've found so far after searching everywhere through the web. so, could anyone please tell me, or gui_guru can tell me how specifically did you clear your CMOS?

thank you!

Welcome to Windrivers buatblog

Resetting cmos comes in two forms - one you do from within the bios setup - press del when it first starts to enter the bios setup menu. Two things you should do in there, one is to reset to (safe) defaults and the other is to enable ESCD or clear NVRAM... depending on your bios.

The next way needs you to open your computer, disconnect it from the mains and use the jumper - the jumper is usually near the battery - but not always. You move the jumper off pins 1 and 2 and place it over pins 2 and 3 and wait for up to a minute. Then you replace the jumper over pins 1 and 2 and close the case and start the computer.

What this does is drain all residual power from the motherboard and so any settings such as the clock are lost and will have to be reset in the bios menu. Often you get an error and it asks you to continue or go into bios to correct the settings.... this is normal - go into bios and set the clock as a minimum. You can check other settings as well - such as onboard devices are enabled and that it looks for the agp slot first for the video adapter.

The jumper is circled on this pic - but this is not your motherboard.

The jumper location can be found in your motherboard manual which is downloadable from your motherboard manufacturer - in your case intel. If there is no jumper, then you should remove the battery and leave overnight instead.... again not connected to the electricity.

You must also be aware of static - it can kill a motherboard, if you do not have an antistatic wrist strap, then the easy way to make sure you do not have static is to leave the mains cable plugged into the wall but switched off at the wall - this allows the earth to remain connected, but no electricity to flow. Then you hold the metal casing of your computer for at least 10 seconds before touching the motherboard and you keep a part of you touching the metal casing at all times while you move the jumper.

Of course if you do not have wall sockets that are switchable, this is going to be more difficult - plugging it into an extension with a power switch or a power board with switches can get around this problem.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 6th, 2005 at 03:29 AM.

hi i'm just in the begining
    can I help some one

Welcome to Windrivers hankafoushe

To be of help, you must read ALL the thread before answering. Then make sure your answer makes sense and any links you give are correct. Ensure you understand the question, if you don't understand what is being asked, then ask questions to find out.

What country are you from?

I'm having the same problem with sound driver. Please help!!

I have the same problem going on with my vaio pcv 2232.
    I followed all the directions in the previous threads. Please help with driver problem for sound. Is there any way we can get the restore cd's from sony. I upgraded to XP Professional and thats where I screwed up.
    thanks in advance.

Crickey this thread is an epic ! ..

At this point, I'll be completely annoying & observe that you can buy a new soundcard with some 'right' drivers for less than a tenner should your pc be out of warranty !
    (that'll probably also outperform any onboard soundcard)

Completely defeatist in terms of 'I can fix it' .. but a whole hell of a lot 'cheaper' in pulling your hair terms & time

Quote Originally Posted by sid1
    I have the same problem going on with my vaio pcv 2232.
    I followed all the directions in the previous threads. Please help with driver problem for sound. Is there any way we can get the restore cd's from sony. I upgraded to XP Professional and thats where I screwed up.
    thanks in advance.
    You phone sony support and ask them. You will need your receipt for proof of purchase.

Did you reset cmos? Have you absolutely identified which sound chip it is?

>>confus-ed I was just thinking the same thing on a new sound card, and was weighing the get a new card verses the
    feeling of having fixed the problem.
    nothing more worthy to say, so i shall shut my yap before i say something to trully expose my lack of anything worthy to add.
    *peace out everyone*