ALI M5271 PCI card won't install hangs XP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ALI M5271 PCI card won't install hangs XP

ALI M5271 PCI card won't install hangs XP

Purchased a combo card 4 usb 2.0 and 2 firewire(ALI(M5271) -- locks up computer after inital logon to XP , sp1 installed and all latest winupdates, have tried removing USB currently on system, rebooting, installing the latest updated driver from aliECHI_152, and then rebootiing, and putting card in before it comes up, still locks up right as it says it's found new hardware in both cases.

Can reboot, remove card all comes up and runs fine, old USB drivers located and setup- running a ibm- comp- XP pro, amd 1600 with 1m ram (2 512M), two hard drive, CDRW, DVDRW, scsi aha-2940 pci (scanner), video is Rage ATI 128 pro, have one more PCI slot that 56k modem was in (removed), so have two PCI slots, have tried moving cards around between reboots too.

Suggestions?

Welcome to windrivers jethoma. Give this Integrated Driver a try - it worked for someone with a similar problem a month or two ago. BTW, the 152 EHCI driver is not the latest - they are up to 159. If the Integrated Driver doesn't work, you could try that. You could also try installing the driver with the card removed.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

ALi M5271

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers jethoma. Give this Integrated Driver a try - it worked for someone with a similar problem a month or two ago. BTW, the 152 EHCI driver is not the latest - they are up to 159. If the Integrated Driver doesn't work, you could try that. You could also try installing the driver with the card removed.
    Hi,
    Did you solve the problem ??
    I have the same exact problem too; PC frozen/hang after detected ALi USB host controller . Tried the new driver also unsolved. I had formatted my two PCs , but still sick!!! . The installation of Win XP stops if the ALi card in there, but continues once removed. I contacted ALi.tw , un-solved and then no reply , sick company!! .
    Has anyone out there succesfully installed ALi M5271 , please help .
    I'm in the process of returning the item got the RMA number from seller today , lost money buying this superb sick item.

please , plzzzzz email me if at [email protected] , if you know the solution.

Jazz

Welcome to WD jazz. Looks like you've tried everything you should have, geesh, even a format? Well, sometimes cards are just DOA. Lousy quality control and all that. So, take advantage of the RMA. Are they sending an exact replacement, or your money back?

Just registered...

As I mentioned already in the other Ali theread, I somehow resolved the same problem exactly.
    I used Antec 550W TrueControl PSU to increase +5V rail up to +5.15V.

All the problems went away. Be aware, it's not a drivers' problem - same crash I had with Linux. During PCI devices' enumeration system (WIn & Lin) locked.

Smile Integrated207.exe works

Found this thread in Google. Just registered...

I had the same problem as Jethoma. Bought a 3 port firewire/5 port USB card (Ali M5271) from Ebay. Installed it in the slot, started Windows XP (SP-1) and card was recognized and drivers installed. But when I checked in the device manager, nothing was working. Insterted the driver CD that came with the card and halfway through the driver installation, they system crashed and rebooted. Tried it again with the same outcome.

My solution, based on comments above was to remove the card in the device manager (remove every USB/1394 device that isn't working). Then run the Integrated207.exe driver (I got mine directly from www.ali.com.tw). Then reboot. New drivers installed automatically, and everything appears to work.

Welcome to Windrivers iflier

Glad you found a solution... let's hope that it works for others.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Anyone got a resolution to this??
    I have this card, got it off ebay also.

If I have it plugged into a PCI slot in my computer, it locks the system.
    Farthest it will get is to finding new hardware, pops up the bubble saying Found ALi... then it freezes whole system.

Only way I can get the system to boot with this card in, is to go into the BIOS and change all the IRQ's off of PCI/PNP to ISA.. which doesn't help me... cuz then nothing can use the IRQ's.

I can't even boot from a win2k or winxp setup cd with this card in the slot.

Welcome to windrivers vital. You've tried safe mode?

Which os are you running? All service packs and updates installed?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

vital which slot did you put it in?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm running WinXP Pro with all updates installed.
    I've tried it in all 4 PCI slots.

Cannot get into Safe Mode with the card plugged in. (Unless I disable all the PCI IRQ's)

If the card does not allow the machine to boot, then the card is faulty or there is a major incompatibility between the card and the motherboard. Return the card.

Probably pretty much S.O.L. there, bought it off ebay, can't imagine he's gonna gimme my money back....

Try it in another machine, if it does the same, it's faulty. Alot of traders on ebay are very good about returns.... just make sure it is definitely faulty first.

Hah!

Man, my card doesnt hang up XP... in fact, XP doesnt even detect it! Looks like RMA is around the corner. The Firewire port DOES have power tho... i could charge my iPod with it