No Enhanced Controller for USB 2 loading

Thread: No Enhanced Controller for USB 2 loading

Hybrid View

No Enhanced Controller for USB 2 loading

Greetings,

Specs:
    Thinkpad A22p; flashed to the most recent IBM BIOS (1.11)
    W2K SP4; updated with most current drivers, i.e. enhanced usb drivers are present.

Problem:
    D-Link DUB-C2 USB 2.0 cardbus card does not produce USB 2 speeds. The card is recognized and identified as a D-Link USB 2.0 cardbus card, loads the root hub but does not operate at USB2 speeds (only 1.1 speeds).

From what I can see the NEC PCI USB Enhanced Controller is not loading. All other aspects of PnP appear to be working. But for some reason Windows is not loading the Enhanced Controller.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

I

Welcome to Windrivers Isaiah

Not producing usb 2.0 speeds can be something very straight forward - what usb devices have you plugged into it (makes and models please)

did you apply this update? it updates a few things, not least the cardbus controller.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hello NooNoo thank you for responding.

I did the update as you suggested. No improvement.

Here's the story:

1) D-Link DUB-C2 USB 2.0 cardbus card. Brand new (replaced under RMA because I thought the card faulty).

2) Not producing USB 2 speeds, e.g. new Maxtor drive in a new Kingwin enclosure took 2.5 hours to transfer 9 gig. Same external drive hooked up to my creaky PIII desktop with a zonet USB2 PCI card took 15 minutes.

3) I'm running W2K SP4 with all updated drivers. Updated BIOS from IBM. Updated OrangeWare drivers for the card.

4) Card shows in device manager labelled correctly as the D-Link USB 2 cardbus card. The NEC PCI USB controllers load. Card works but at 1.1 USB speeds.

5) I observe that the NEC PCI USB Enhanced Controller does not load. I'm sure that if it did load then the card would operate at USB 2 speeds (that's what I think anyway).

6) From what I can see I've done all the updates I can (including the cardbus update thanks).

Any ideas? Any idea why enchanced controller not loading? Do you think it's related to my problem? Can I load it manually somehow?

Thank you so much!

as an experiment, disable the onboard usb 1.1 in bios and remove and 1.1 devices. What's the speed like now?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Think Noo-Noo has the right idea, but I would uninstall all USB devices, including controllers, and let Windows redetect them on reboot. ME and W2K are sometimes reluctant to let go of old drivers.

Don't give up on me guys . . .

No luck, uninstalled the USB pieces as suggested, rebooted, no difference.

Note Bene: The BIOS is the most recent from IBM. Even IBM says to enable USB 2 on ThinkPad to enter BIOS setup | Config | USB settings. HOWEVER my BIOS does not have any USB settings under Config. Go figure!

The onboard 1.1 USB works fine, and the card is seen in the slot and identified as being a USB 2 card (in the description in DM). However . . . no USB 2 speeds.

So two mysteries:
    1) Why no USB settings in BIOS, if, according to IBM, it should be there.
    2) Why no Enhanced Controller loading.

This is agonizing. USBMAN was stumped, I've done all the update as you can see from my first post. I've uninstalled the USB devices and let Windows find and reinstall.

Keep the creative juices flowing guys, I really appreciate you help.

I

Did you actually disable usb in the bios? Or just disable it in windows.

There are no USB settings in my BIOS.

The BIOS is the most recent from IBM. Even IBM says to enable USB 2 on ThinkPad to enter BIOS setup | Config | USB settings. HOWEVER my BIOS does not have any USB settings under Config. (Yet the onboard USB 1.1 works fine.)

It's another layer to the mystery.

how about stepping backa version of the bios...? what was your previous version?

Hello NooNoo,

Well after many hours I gave up on the D-Link DUB-C2

I bought an ADS Tech Dual-Link cardbus adapter that arrived today. Nice card: two USB2 ports (one powered via adapter, one unpowered), one firewire 6-pin and one firewire 4-pin ports.

Plugged the card in, installed, tested . . . NO USB2 SPEEDS! WTF?!

Checked the drivers and Windows installed the stupid D-Link OWC drivers. So let Windows do a driver update and Windows wanted to install oem63.inf again! Pointed Windows to the W2K drivers on the ADS CD and Windows said, "does not contain information about your hardware" argh! Not again!

So . . . I installed the drivers that came on the CD (ALi drivers) and presto!

Card now delivering USB2 speeds. 9g of data transfered to my external HD in 20 minutes (vs. 2.5 hours previously).

So, D-Link DUB-C2 and related OWC drivers are S***!!!

ADS Tech card and drivers are just dandy. USB2 speeds and Firewire when needed.

Thank you for all your help.

Matthew

Glad you got it sorted