HP d220 SoundMax Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HP d220 SoundMax Problem

HP d220 SoundMax Problem

Make and model of computer (if a manufactured model)
    HP d220 – mxd4380fmz

Make and model of motherboard and/or chipsets installed
    Motherboard Name: Lite-On NR138
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel Grookdale-G i845GEV

Add-on devices (has a sound card been added or is the onboard sound used or is there only an add-on card)
    On-board soundcard

Sound devices/drivers/codecs listed in Device Manager and Add/Remove programs
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.
    Did not see this option when I was in the BIOS

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.
    Receive error “There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.”

Check Start, Control panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it is set to automatic and is started.
    Started and Restarted

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.
    Under the Volume Tab “No Audio Device” and Speaker Volume is grayed out.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.
    Default Device under is grayed out for these two areas.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.
    Both are set to high in the Properties tab of each cd/dvd drive.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.
    I see Audio Codecs listed but NOT Audio Controller

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.
    Performed the above step. The four listed from Microsoft were as follows:
    IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
    Microsoft ADPCM Audio CODEC
    Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
    Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC

If you have done and recorded ALL the above, prior to seeking help, it then becomes easier to provide information that can be used to fix your problem.

I have used the HP restore CD’s to reformat my computer and nothing. HP support advised me to install the drivers in Safe Mode, that did not work. They also recommended I reinstall the OS but that did not work either. The drivers that I have downloaded from HP’s site is SP25497 and it does not work. I have the Everest report so if anyone wants it, let me know. I hope I have provided enough information.

If XP Home, you'd go here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ID=1098#113165

Install the chipset drivers from that page FIRST.

CCT-

Thank you for your time. I failed to mention that I am running XP pro with Security Pack 2. I have not moved to Security Pack 3 because HP had me uninstall it last time. That and I do not think Security Pack has anything to do with the problem.

Xp Home or Pro - the drivers are the same.
    Click [http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=1093

If that won't install, you may need (and some of these companies don't tell you) the Microsoft UAA drivers installed first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111/

I ran the Microsoft UAA drivers, than the chipset drivers. Rebooted the computer and installed the audio drivers from HP's website again and still received the error.

Chipset drivers are installed FIRST.

In any event, do you now have an entry that says, in part, 'high definition' under sound and audio devices', 'hardware' in Control Panel?

If so, uninstall that.

Then try the original drivers from the company site - sp24520.exe (4.2 MB).

I did not install the chipset driver first. I errored on the side that it would not work so I proceeded to the KB888111 link you gave me. I do not have anything that states "high definition" in the control panel. Should I uninstall the drivers and try the sequence in the opposite order?

Do you show anything under 'sound and audio devices', 'hardware' in Control Panel that would be your sound device? (ie, list what's there now)

If not, uninstall the UAA driver, reboot, install the chipset drivers, reboot, then try the 'previous version' sound drivers from that site ( http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport..._I18299-101466 )

This is going to sound horrible but I am not sure how to uninstall the drivers that you recommended I uninstall. Any direction would be appreciated.

In XP, click Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and find the driver and click on it and click Remove.

IF you aren't using XP, what are you using?

You said ' I do not have anything that states "high definition" in the control panel' - I didn't say that was where it might be.

I said "under sound and audio devices', 'hardware' in Control Panel?".
    Last edited by CCT; September 18th, 2009 at 06:03 AM.

Completely reformated the computer.
    Installed the Chipset Drivers first.
    Installed the Microsoft UAA drivers
    Installed the sp24520
    Same error
    Uninstalled Microsoft UAA drivers
    Rebooted
    Reinstalled the sp24520
    Same error

There isn't any mention of high definiton anywhere in the Sounds and Audio Devices The only thing listed: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, media control devices, legacy video captute devices, and video codecs.

OK, let's try another tack. Try this driver from DriverGuide (you have to register BUT it is free);

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=205636

edit: as a lst resort, try the Realtek (purported to work with the ADI AD1981b codec).

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
    Last edited by CCT; September 20th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.

Dowloaded "82801DB_DBM_DA_AC97" from the first link you gave me.
    Went into device manager, updated driver for 'Legacy Audio Driver'
    Pointed to the wizard to the unzipped folder of '82801DB_DBM_DA_AC97' located at the root.
    The wizard could not find a better match than what was already installed.

Attempted to locate the ADI AD1981b codec from the second link but was unsuccessful. I sure as heck was going to just pick any driver.

Realtek drivers might work with that codec - not replace it.

In any event, your Lite-On board was made by another company for them - from what I gather this is the manual;

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/services...ition_x101.pdf

That's a Fujitsu X101 mobo.

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/services...ditionX101.htm

Apparently, one individual had success using this driver;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport..._I19444-102981

per; http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._23209147.html

The sp25497 does not work. That is the original drivers for the computer. Any other ideas? I am wondering if a move to Window 7 will work. I do have the RC copy of it. I hesitate because if it does not work than I doubt I can go back to XP.