USB Flash Pen Drive

Thread: USB Flash Pen Drive

Cool USB Flash Pen Drive

Hi,

I have a problem with a USB Flash Pen. It is an unknown make 512Mb USB2 device. I suspect a faulty USB2 hub on my computer which may have caused the fault but am now looking for a fix. Forget the hub, hopefully, as I have replaced it.

The USB Flash drive, however, is seen by XP as a drive and allocated a logical drive letter but returns ‘Insert a device in drive X’ when clicked on.

This is the second device to go faulty on me, the first was replaced but when the second one went the same way I got suspicious. I have tried the device on a completely different pc and the same problem exists.

Firms like ApexTechnology claim to be able to recover data from these devices with exactly the same error at a price of five times what the device cost. I am not interested in the data, just to get the device working.

I was careful with the second one to undock USB before removing it as I suspected frying the first (however, subsequently think that is more a data write caching issue). Disk Manager will see the drive but not respond, wondering if it was a corrupt partition problem. Have tried booting with XP disk but it does not see USB or the device to repair a partition.

Is there any third party software that can low level interrogate these devices and offer a menu of solutions ? There must be a market as these devices are getting more and more popular and this error is increasing in frequency (dodgy hardware etc). Data recovery obviously should be left to the experts but bringing a dead piece of hardware back to life, instead of disposing of it, has to be good.

Many Thanks for listening to my rambling and hope someone has an anwer.

Steve

There are dos drivers around to make a usb drive work in dos...whether they will work on your set up I don't know...but it would be worth trying to see if this is a windows recognition problem .. dos being much dumber, may well just quite happily format it for you. start here method 3 and on
    Last edited by NooNoo; September 23rd, 2005 at 04:47 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."