C Media CMI 8738 (Win XP???)

Thread: C Media CMI 8738 (Win XP???)

C Media CMI 8738 (Win XP???)

Sound Card Distress
    I put XP (previously '98) on my PC (P3, 1000mhz, 512 ram) and I can't seem to get the some updated files to install correctly. The files I downloaded from C Media and have a problem with are as follows:

CMI8738 AudioRack.EXE
    CMI8738 AudioRack.r00
    CMI8738 AudioRack.r01

I cannot make head nor tail of the install instructions provided by the C Media website:

1. Run "CMI8738_AudioRack.EXE" to unzip the files to "CMI8738_AudioRack" directory.
    2. Run "setup.exe" in "CMI8738_AudioRack" directory for Audio Rack install.

Stil a bit wet around the ears when it comes to this computer lark. Are these drivers even for XP? The website gives no details. Or am I just the idiot I thought I was? If the latter does apply, could some kind soul please translate the above "install" instructions into layman's terms. Cheers!
    AKHIYM...
    ps. What the is a .rar file?

Welcome to Windrivers akhiym

OK last question first - .rar files are compressed files - like zip files. You need winrar to open them or other compatible program. XP can natively open zip files and extract them

So the 3 files are all the files you need, compressed and split into 3 for easy download for dialup people.

When you double click cmi8738 audiorack.exe it will extract all the files to the current directory.... if that's you desktop the files may not show up.

So first job, using explorer or my computer, create a directory called cmedia - copy the exe and the r00 and r01 files into it. Double click the exe and then look at the folder, it will have a bunch of files (possibly in a new directory it created inside the cmedia directory you created)

Having extracted the files - you know look for the file called setup.exe and double click it. It will then install the audiorack files. You don't actually need the audio rack - windows volume control for the most part does the same job.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Make sure all three files .EXE, r00, and r01, are in the same dir.. Althought it is a winrar file it is a self exe file and will make a dir. of its own, MAYBE..
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"