Windows 2003 Server + network connections not responding + network properties

Thread: Windows 2003 Server + network connections not responding + network properties

Windows 2003 Server + network connections not responding + network properties

Hello,

Just today I experienced a really frustrating problem that I would like to share and through the process of elimination I was able to resolve my problem by identifying the source.

The system was a Intel server box running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 and all critical and recommended updates installed from windows update server. I rebooted the server today and upon doing so every client connected to the network immediate lost communication with the server. The local clients on the same subnet could not ping the hostname or the IP of the server nor could they re-connect to their mapped network drives on the server. There was no software firewall installed and the ICF was disabled. But the server was able to access all the client shares as well as being able to access internet. I could only ping the server IP from the server itself. I tried opening the network connection properties directly on the server to check my IP settings but the network connections would freeze up. There was a big delay when opening my network places on the server. I could however run ipconfig, I also tried using a few netsh commands hoping to repair or reset a damaged winsock or TCP/IP entry. But that wasn’t the case. When I ran the system configuration utility (msconfig) to disable start-up group items or disable services the msconfig utility would fail to respond and my settings were never saved. I therefore checked the services under administrative tools, hoping to disable or set the service startup type to manual or disable on 3rd Party services. But the services snap-in would fail to respond upon trying to change service startup types. I was able to get around in safe mode just fine where I disabled all third party services and found the system to run fine in normal mode after that. After enabling each service one by one and restarting I found that the two service which were causing all my problems were:
    1) APC PBE Agent and 2) APC PBE Server

After doing a search on google it wasn’t long before I learnt that there was in fact a serious problem with Power-Chute Business edition version 6.0. Which has a Sun Java Runtime Environment certificate which expired on July 27th 2005. As the certificate is expired, the two APC services (APC PBE Agent and APC PBE Server) fail to start on a server reboot. This has a knock-on effect on all other services the Windows Server Control Manager is trying to start, and may cause them to fail also, incapacitating the server

There are three methods to resolve this issue:

Method 1
    The two services APC PBE Agent and APC PBE Server need to be stopped and put in the manual mode. This can be done through the registry. Follow the steps given below:
    1. Go to Start | Run | Regedit or Regedt32
    Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
    2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\APCPBEAgent
    3. Modify the Start key value to 3 (Figure 1)
    Note : This will change the service start type to Manual
    4. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\APCPBEServer
    5. Modify the Start key value to 3

Method 2:

If the server is affected by this issue:
    1. Reboot the server (this may have to be a cold restart in some cases)
    2. At the 'Starting Windows...' DOS screen, press <F8> to enter safe mode and log on as Administrator
    3. Click Start | Run and type Regedit and click OK
    4. Check the version of PowerChute by looking at the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\APC\PowerChute Business Edition\Agent\Version. If the version number is 6.x.x then you will need to upgrade to version 7 by downloading and installing the PowerChute Business Edition software update.

If the server is NOT YET affected by this issue:
    1.Click Start | Programs | APC PowerChute Business Edition
    2 Launch the Console
    3. Click Help | About and check the version number (if you are unable to access the Console, please refer to the 'If the server is affected by this issue' section above)
    4. If the version number is 6.x.x then you will need to upgrade to version 7 by downloading and installing the PowerChute Business Edition software update

Method 3:
    Uninstall APC PowerChute Business Edition software.
    For further information on this, refer http://www.apc.com/ .

Welcome to Windrivers pbolduc and thanks for the fix... sounds like it took a while to sort.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."