Firewire PCI card problem (and maybe USB2, too)

Thread: Firewire PCI card problem (and maybe USB2, too)

Firewire PCI card problem (and maybe USB2, too)

I bought a used Compaq Evo D500 from a local computer shop recently. It has 4 USB ports (2 front, 2 back), and it's relatively recent, so I've tried to figure out if it supports USB2, so I can use my iPod as a second hard drive. It came with Win98SE, but I formatted the drive and installed WinXP Home with SP2, hoping for some upgraded USB support. The USB is still slow, so I bought a 3-port firewire pci card, and installed that. When I plug in my iPod to the firewire ports, it comes up as a USB device and Windows tells me that it'll fun faster connected to a USB2.0 port, and then tells me that I don't have any high speed USB controllers installed on my system. And even with the new firewire card, it still runs as slowly as the USB connections. First, is it normal for a firewire device to be run under the USB driver? Second, how can I find out if my system supports USB2? And three, how do I get either my USB or my firewire up to the correct speed?

Matthew Waterhouse eh? Welcome to WinDrivers.

I can't comment from experience about the iPod, but I'd suggest doing all the appropriate updates for XP. You should be able to follow up from here for your specific Evo variant, and especially look to install the likes of chipset support.

SP2 also tends to run Firewire at minimum speed (100Mbps) so the SP2 Firewire patch may help too.
    Last edited by Platypus; October 2nd, 2005 at 11:00 PM.