no autoplay on vista 64

Thread: no autoplay on vista 64

Unhappy no autoplay on vista 64

Hi,
    I am having problems with enabling autoplay in vista ultimate x64 sp1, I have never had need to use autoplay function so cannot say how long it has been disabled but now i require it i cant find anyway to get it to work I really need it to work with a virtual drive so that when an iso image is mounted the device autoplays this is not currently happening and by the looks of things it is disabled on all my devices i have a sony dvd writer and that to does not autoplay, I have had a good search for solutions but eveything i have tried so far has given me no luck, I will list all the things i've tried.

1. opened autoplay setting via control panel the box for use autoplay for all media and devices is ticked and powerdvd8 is selected for all relevant items,
    at bottom where it says devices that are connected to your computer are listed here is empty I don't imagine that is correct.

2.Ran Gpedit.msc and under computer configuration/administrative templates/windows components/autoplay policies the 3 settings (turn off autoplay, Don't set always do this checkbox and default behaviour for autorun) are all set as not configured this is the same under user configuration as well I believe this is correct.

3. checked registry keys HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom\autor un and value is default 1 to send a mcn message and the autorunalwaysdisable key says TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36 NEC MBR-7 NEC MBR-7.4 PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36 which doesnt seem likely to be disbling my sony dvd drive or my virtual clone drive, have checked both HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer and there is no entries for NoDriveAutoRun or NoDriveTypeAutoRun in either I believe this is all correct.

If anyone has any other ideas on how I may solve this problem Iwould be very grateful.
    Thanks, James.

Ironically it may well be your virtual drive that has killed autoplay... which one is it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo, its Elaborate Bytes Virtual Clone Drive i only installed it yesterday but pretty sure autoplay has not been working for a while, from what i have read on other sites I would agree that the cause of my problem might be a software conflict but if so was hoping for a more difinitive idea for a resolution than simply uninstalling apps and seeing if the problem rectifies which is best solution i have seen so far, the problem is i have a LOT of apps installed and the thought of uninstalling a number of these is not a prospect that I would really like to take, If it is a software conflict I would guess there must be another way to check to see what the software may have done as far as the virtual drive gos, It is the software that mymovies addon for vmce recomends to use for automounting of bluray isos and for it to work autoplay must be enabled so i would guess this perticular software is usually compatable with autoplay. Thanks for your help NooNoo, a number of years ago you helped me with one of my first computer problems and have never forgotten the great advice you gave me then.

If you go to the control panel
    Change it to classic view on the left top
    3RD icon over is Autoplay.
    Int here is where you may affect it
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hi Ferrit, yes as i said in my first post that was my first port of call
    "opened autoplay setting via control panel the box for use autoplay for all media and devices is ticked and powerdvd8 is selected for all relevant items,
    at bottom where it says devices that are connected to your computer are listed here is empty I don't imagine that is correct."
    Thanks.

You could try this - I have never used it, but you seem to have done everything else (except the boring uninstalling bit )
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the sugestion unfortunately it came up with no problems, oh well was thinking about setting up a dual operating system anyway so guess I will have to put my autoplay needs on my new os, thanks though.

You could ask Elaborate Bytes this question and see if they have an answer... after all you bought the software, you can expect support!

thanks it is a freeware program though and i have tried uninstalling the virtual drive and i still have no autoplay so the problem i have is not down to there software.

Freeware is still supported... give them a go.