Is there any way of making a Dial Up Modem faster?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way of making a Dial Up Modem faster?

Is there any way of making a Dial Up Modem faster?

Hello,

The regulars will know I and a friend are planning to reformat my PC (for the first time) on Tuesday.

I'm not looking forward to picking up all those Windows Updates on Dial Up and I choose not to afford broadband.

Is there any way of making a Dial Up modem faster? It's a CNXT V9x PCI Modem and I am currently getting 52.0 Kbps.

Have seen stuff about Accelerators, but daren't touch a thing!

Thanks, Mags.
    Last edited by Mags; October 9th, 2005 at 09:50 AM.

There are a lot of theories and lots of "ideas".
    But in the end i have yet to see any real speed increases.
    They used to offer SP2 on cd.
    I cannot find it but possibly someone else can. Have a friend download it on cable and burn it ot cd is another way
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hi Mags, if youre getting 52kbps, that is rather good for dialup.

What you can do is order the Windows SP2 cd (if you are using XP) from Microsoft, its free.

Alternatively you can just take your pc to a tech shop/friends place and get your pc updates via their broadband connection.

Oh, I forgot to say, I do have SP2 on a CD, sent off for it, so maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will? Just have to collect all the updates after SP2.

Thanks for your thoughts, you're right 'theories' abound.

~~~

And TechZ, we posted at the same time, take my PC to a friends, I can't even lift it! Have to go for a walk while post-SP2 updates are downloading.
    Last edited by Mags; October 9th, 2005 at 10:26 AM.

Sorry but that's the way it is... if you have a friend on broadband who has a cd burner, then it is possible to download the updates to that cd and then take it home and install the ones you need.

Accelerators work well on stuff that has not been compressed - but windows updates are already compressed, you would see no time saving there at all.

Load sp2 from the CD before going to windows updates - otherwise it will be looking for all kinds of stuff you get in SP2.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, NooNoo, I have a list here and SP2 is definitely above the Windows Updates.

I'm wondering where it loads Windows Updates into, then I could keep them for future? Have looked at Prefetch .. etc... but this is going off topic.

Yes you can. So you can start collecting in advance

First off, have a lookin in add/remove programs - it should give you the numbers of the ones you have already... start with those.

go to windows updates and click on the left > Use administrator Options. On the right hand side in the body of the first paragraph, click on windows catalogue.

Or you could launch it direct (I think) here and right click the information bar and install the activex control.

When that has installed, you will get a new page. Click the top link in the middle - Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems. On the scroll box that appears, scroll all the way down to XP SP2 and click on it to highlight and then click search on the right of the screen.

Now you get 3 choices - start with the critical updates. You can add a bunch of them at a time to your download basket - but on dialup I don't recommend that, do them one at a time. On broadband, it gets kinda cranky if you have more than 7 at the same time.... but they may have fixed that since I last tried it.

If you are not sure that you need it, download it anyways... then you have it if you do. Now here is the clever bit - not all updates are needed depending on your configuration.

So having loaded SP2 - go to windows updates and do the custom bit and make a note of the updates it proposes to install. Then just install em off your cd. If you get lost or confused as to which update has been done, a quick trip to windows updates will help you work out whats left.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks, NooNoo, I think someone needs to re-program Microsoft Windows Update, because I typed in 'English' and under 'Critical and Service Packs (20)' I'm given Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, etc. then it gives me Service Pack 2 which I've already got on a CD, then it only gives ONE KB update, which is for Brazilian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Hindi, Malay or Thai languages....then it won't let me go any further to search for more.

So yes, I was very impressed with your advice and it looked as though it was gonna be good, but hmm, ohhh, oooh !!

Am now off to get some food and got a very busy day tomorrow, so will have hardly any computer time ..

Ohhh, Hmm, I dunno what to say ....

But what I can do .. oh gosh, this is doing my head in, is do all that when I do my updates after the reformat, then I'll have them all on CD ..

Teatime now... crumpets anyone?

You didn't need to type in English - it is already set to English... you just had to click search.

I was rushing because I was hungry ... it was set to English and I pressed Search. Have just done it again and posted screen capture of part of it. I'm not sure why it doesn't list all the Hotfixes, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mags; October 9th, 2005 at 03:41 PM.

oooh right - .net updates for various languages - just download the english one... there should be a roll up package of updates for ie6 sp2 as well.

I spent 24minutes downloading the wrong pack, SP2 then realised there was an SP3, and it takes 36 minutes to download, so am going to try and fit that in tomorrow somewhere, am out a lot ...

Phew !

Think I'm tired, but thanks for all your help.

my pleasure

I had two hours before having to go out again, so that's Service Pack 3 downloaded onto CDRW . and the great news is I won't have to install Service Pack 2 and wade through all the downloads the other way ... way hay !!

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=867461

This article contains information about the bugs that are fixed in Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3). Service packs are cumulative. Therefore, bugs that are fixed in one service pack are also fixed in subsequent service packs. For example, you do not have to install the .NET Framework Service Pack 2 (SP2) before you install the .NET Framework Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Thanks again, NooNoo.

Err mags... that's just the .net stuff.

Windows SP3 is not out yet - you still need to get sp2.