Computer Randomly Shutting Down
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer Randomly Shutting Down

Computer Randomly Shutting Down

This has happened to my computer a lot this week. Usually I go online and sometimes it will just shut off. Other times it shuts off when i try to open other files such as AIM. When the computer shuts off a blue screen comes up saying that this could be because of my BIOS settings with chaching and shadowing and i don't even really know what those are or how to change them. If anyone could help me with this that would be so awesome and i have windows xp w/ a hewlett packard if someone can. thanks a lot

Welcome to Windrivers shadybob

Could you post your exact hewlett packard model and the Whole message for the blue screen please?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

alright thank you for your interest NooNoo if its okay i can tell you all the information tomorow when i get back to my computer at my house. I mean if you could help me then that would greatly appreciated

no problem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok my computer is a hp pavilion 533w and this is the message that i can on the blue screen when it just shuts down its a little long but here it is

A problem has been deteted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_NOT_LESS-OR_EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hadrware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS Memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advaced start up options and then select safe mode

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X0000000A (0XFF0A4000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804DA43C)

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
    Physical Memory dump complete

i know its a lot of stuff and you may not have any idea what to do which i understand but i figured it was worth a shot thanks a lot for all your help

oooh I hate those

read about it here

Difficult to track - have you updated anything lately? Added something? Uninstalled something?

i haven't updated anything lately. A couple weeks ago i went into start up and un-checked some things in the start up so that it would start a little quicker, maybe that messed things up. when it starts up four messages come up that say something like search..[] [] [] not found. that might not be the exact message but its a message with the word search in it with boxes after it. I read that link you gave me but it didnt really mean much with all the driver and kernel talk because honestly i what that stuff does or what i can do to fix anything. Also i haven't installed or uninstalled any new programs so maybe my computer is just giving up and doesn't want to do anything for me good period. thanks again tho

Aha! spyware maybe or another nasty.

What did you uncheck?

hijack this is a great tool download it (button with the little flashing light) and post a log

well i pretty much selected everything onto my start up menu again so i do not think that is the problem its something else. so thank you for this link here i'll download it and try it out on my computer tomorow and hopefully it works thanks again

so ya think that it is a virus that is shutting my computer down? i mean i have McAfee virus scan and i ran that and that didnt work. hopefully just this hijack scan will do it

Quote Originally Posted by shadybob187
    so ya think that it is a virus that is shutting my computer down? .. hopefully just this hijack scan will do it
    Yup Noo does indeed think its spyware, as that's why she asked you to scan it & post a hijackthis log .. but where is it ?

hijackthis doesn't scan, it reports...hence the need for the log.

Fires up his copy of Hijacklthis & notes that the wording is this :-
    Do a system scan & save a logfile

it scans but does not correct in the same way a virus checker does... if you are not careful I will send you my oracle em config problem....

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    it scans.
    Ok I'll settle for that before you ask me any of those unfeasably hard oracle questions again, thankfully all of that is in the past for me, if not you

Hijackthis is looking for different stuff than a virus scanner, its looking for what are supposedly legimate processes or registry entries mostly (along with LSP & such) so yeah its not scanning your drive for malicious files, but rather it examines what are legitimate files, that might have contents which are up to mischief, & nothing is watching as windows has them registered as a part of its system files.