When XP loads, I see XP screen, then black

Thread: When XP loads, I see XP screen, then black

When XP loads, I see XP screen, then black

When i turn on my computer the XP load screen comes up then black, nothing at first I heard all of the sounds, but I went in to the motherboard bios and tried to change to boot clean, but nothing after that.

Any help?
    RadioRhea

Welcome to the forums

What did you do before this problem started? Were you updating drivers, removing some application?

Can you boot to safe mode?

And what do you mean:
    I went in to the motherboard bios and tried to change to boot clean, but nothing after that.

I had a virus and had to reload XP. I thought that I got all of the drivers for the video card. I run Battlefield 2, so I was trying to get everything set back up. I cleared the CMOS, restarted and got it to come up. Checked email, shut it down for the night, and this morning the same thing. I went to check on driver updates in the hardware manager, it said the video card had not started????? I was getting video though, The video card is an ATI 9800 pro. It could be time for a new card. What are your thoughts
    RadioRhea

Test it in another machine.... did you load the chipset drivers for the motherboard before the video drivers?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Can you boot to safe mode?
    Since most confusingly 'safe mode' in xp uses the same installed video drivers, as in 'normal mode', a better question for anything video related is probably 'will it start in VGA mode' ?

had a virus and had to reload XP. I thought that I got all of the drivers for the video card

So what's a 'reload' ? Is that a fresh shiny install after format & fdisk, or is that re-installing windoze over the top of itself ? If its the second, I'd be uninstalling all video related drivers & trying again ..

Fresh shiney as a baby's butt install after F&F. When I turn on my computer, I see the motherboard screen, then XP screen, then black........... Thanks, RadioRhea

I'm still not clear exactly just what happened, so having done a format etc , did xp setup show any problems ?

(I'm trying to figure out if this problem happens after you've added some additional drivers {from ati} or whether windoze setup is going amiss, though I'm not certain xp setup knows what a 9800 card is, so I guess it might finnish setup thinking its just 'standard vga')

I'm thinking boot from PCI or boot from AGP setting in bios...?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."