need help pc is interfering with tv/radio
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help pc is interfering with tv/radio

need help pc is interfering with tv/radio

Hi would any one here know why my pc is causing my tv and radio to become static sounding. My pc is not close to the tv or radio but when my pc is turned on it cuases my tv screen to go snowy and the radio stations become unclear. I am in a new house so I do not think it has any thing to do with the electric outlets. Any ideas would be great! Thank you
    Don't Worry be Happy! Things could always be Worse..There is a fix for everything!

It shouldn't - it's as simple as that. It has - or should have screening to prevent this. Have you got this on a surge protection block? If not, try that.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is your cpu 2.4ghz ? as odd as it seem, try to overclock or underclock it by 5%.
    If you have wifi usb or PCI card, try to pull it out of the system.
    if you have a network cable that connects to a wall outlet, try to unplug it.
    Enjoy :O)

I have issues with my wireless network (80211b). It causes snow on one of my TVs. I have to go into the router admin console and change the settings and it clears right up. To be more specific, I change the wireless channel in the router admin console.
    Last edited by Richard1; October 11th, 2005 at 09:56 PM.

It could be worth having the earthing of the wiring system in the house checked, even if it is new. Something may have been overlooked, and if an earthing problem is the cause of the interference, safety could be compromised too.

If you are simply in a bad reception area, where radio and TV signals are weak, then as well as the suggestions already made, there is probably an option in the computer's BIOS setup to enable Spread Spectrum. If this option is enabled, electrical noise from the computer should be a little less intense. It may reduce system performance and stability slightly though.

Where are yer computer speakers located. Try turning them off.

You could also try changing the refresh rate and screen resolution on the graphics card - my GeForce2GTS is well behaved in DOS mode, but as soon as it uses the higher frequencies under Windows it nukes the entire AM radio band in all directions for about 50 ft.

thanks for the idea's but...

Hi again, My system is connected to a power surge protection bar. My cpu is 1.1ghz. How do I over clock it? It has nothing to do with a wireless network as I am in the middle of no where In Newfoundland Canada and right now we only have dial up internet service. My speakers are not close to my pc and I have my pc hooked up to my home stereo speakers on my amp and it is hooked correctly. I tried the refresh rate and it makes no differance. I had the same pc in my old house not long ago and never had this prob. Can you please tell me more about earthing prob with the wiring of my house and what this is? Just can not figure this out and it is driving me nuts. I should also mention that my house is about 150 feet away from some large hydro wires and transformers could that be the prob? Also if I changed my tv over to a satilite dish instead of cable would I still have the same problem? thanks to all who replied.
    Don't Worry be Happy! Things could always be Worse..There is a fix for everything!

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/interference/tvibook.html
    The link is to a document that discusses interference that affect TV signals and has a section on Computers and interference.

Quote Originally Posted by pcgal
    .. My speakers are not close to my pc and I have my pc hooked up to my home stereo speakers on my amp and it is hooked correctly. ... I should also mention that my house is about 150 feet away from some large hydro wires and transformers could that be the prob?.
    Are you making a great big antenae inadvertently ? (& amplifying what background electrical noise, I'm pretty sure will be there all the time) as said already by ross, try unplugging your speakers for a bit - same symptoms ?

tried every thing still got same problem

hello again! Well I checked out your link and thank you so much for trying to help but after doing some of the things suggested nothing had helped so I went a step further to see if it was something to do with my house wiring or another thing in my house so I brought my pc to a friends house about 12 kms away from my house hooked up every thing same as I would home and guess what the same prob it interfers with his tv and his am radio so it must be my pc that has the prob and I am stuck here again what to do about it!!! I did not hook up my stereo speakers this time and the interferance was the same. My pc was home built into a new case could this have any thing to do with it?

Did you take the monitor as well?

PCs and monitors are liable to create interferance but they are also certified that they don't... soooo some piece of hardware rf reduction has died.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My question, after reading all that's been done, is the computer itself generating noise or is it just producing problems through the electrical system of the house? I've seen similar problems occur when the power supply isn't functioning properly. I've also seen issues similar to this caused by coiling of wires. If you bundle your wires together try unbundling them and laying them out straight. On the fly from out of left field I'd test with a UPS pack and have the computer run off the battery and see if it still produces the problem when not connected to teh electrical system at all. I'd assume it wouldn't cause the issue and maybe a line conditioning UPS could help. I'm no electrical expert tho and I'm just spouting ideas. I've seen a lot of devices affect the way a computer runs (air conditioners, fridges, washing machines), but not really investigated the opposite of how computers affect things to run. Some of the more expensive powerbars have line testing capabilities, check to see if your does.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Also, if the new case has a new power supply, that may be the problem. A poorly shielded or unshielded cheaply made power supply can cause the problems you are talking about by transmitting rfi
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Hi again I still have not resolved my problem with the radio going static. As far as the tv going snowy when my pc is on turns out that it was a problem with the cable company they put in all new wires to the ploes and my house and now the tv is clear when my pc is turned on, but my radio is not. My pc does have anew case and a new power supply. If this is a sheilding problem in the power supply what can I do to fix this. I bought the case with the power supply for one price. Do I need to try out another power supply?