I haven't seen anyone with this problem yet:

I have a Peak Hardware nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR video card, which i bought about 1.5 years ago. The cd that came with the hardware has drivers 56.72 (march 2004 i think) and it works correctly with that. I have tried to update my drivers to anything newer but it doesn't work...

When I remove the old drivers, even using Driver Cleaner (after the 2nd attempt at installing new drivers), rebooting, disabling virus scan, and i try to install the new drivers the installation stops about half way through. The screen goes black for a moment, comes back for like a microsecond, and then turns black with white vertical stripes/lines. The system appears to have crashed although I don't get a BSOD, it just stops. The first time I waited for 15 mins, but nothing happened, so I manually rebooted my pc.
Upon startup (not yet in Windows) all text becomes blocked and unreadable. When XP loads, the colors are weird as well. XP loads and i get a pop up saying there's new hardware; ie no drivers were installed!
I reboot my pc, run in safe mode, barely being able to read what the screen says, run system restore to an old config and after that it works fine. I've had this multiple times already, with different new drivers (78.01, 77.77, 77.72), all with the same result. I can't seem to install new drivers...

I think I should mention that the original cd with drivers installs a program called "CD_DRV_70", which when i look at the info, gives an url to a company named Triple D International, www.axle-hk.com, and it supplies older nVidia drivers, 71.9 being the latest. But the cd also installs "NVIDIA Display Drivers".
I have tried only uninstalling the latter and then updating, but that doesn't work. I have tried uninstalling both programs, and then updating, but that doesn't work either... So I'm pretty clueless now...

Furthermore, in my Control Panel I have 3 (!) NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager icons and they all work. When I uninstall the drivers, reboot etc and look in my Control Panel, there are 2 icons left. This makes me feel as if there are some things left of older installations, but i used driver cleaner to remove those... so i thought anyway...

Any suggestions?

PC specs:
AOpen AK 77-333 AMD Athlon 2000+ mobo
Win XP Pro with SP2
512 MB ram