Nvidia driver update failure
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia driver update failure

Nvidia driver update failure

I haven't seen anyone with this problem yet:

I have a Peak Hardware nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR video card, which i bought about 1.5 years ago. The cd that came with the hardware has drivers 56.72 (march 2004 i think) and it works correctly with that. I have tried to update my drivers to anything newer but it doesn't work...

When I remove the old drivers, even using Driver Cleaner (after the 2nd attempt at installing new drivers), rebooting, disabling virus scan, and i try to install the new drivers the installation stops about half way through. The screen goes black for a moment, comes back for like a microsecond, and then turns black with white vertical stripes/lines. The system appears to have crashed although I don't get a BSOD, it just stops. The first time I waited for 15 mins, but nothing happened, so I manually rebooted my pc.
    Upon startup (not yet in Windows) all text becomes blocked and unreadable. When XP loads, the colors are weird as well. XP loads and i get a pop up saying there's new hardware; ie no drivers were installed!
    I reboot my pc, run in safe mode, barely being able to read what the screen says, run system restore to an old config and after that it works fine. I've had this multiple times already, with different new drivers (78.01, 77.77, 77.72), all with the same result. I can't seem to install new drivers...

I think I should mention that the original cd with drivers installs a program called "CD_DRV_70", which when i look at the info, gives an url to a company named Triple D International, www.axle-hk.com, and it supplies older nVidia drivers, 71.9 being the latest. But the cd also installs "NVIDIA Display Drivers".
    I have tried only uninstalling the latter and then updating, but that doesn't work. I have tried uninstalling both programs, and then updating, but that doesn't work either... So I'm pretty clueless now...

Furthermore, in my Control Panel I have 3 (!) NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager icons and they all work. When I uninstall the drivers, reboot etc and look in my Control Panel, there are 2 icons left. This makes me feel as if there are some things left of older installations, but i used driver cleaner to remove those... so i thought anyway...

Any suggestions?

PC specs:
    AOpen AK 77-333 AMD Athlon 2000+ mobo
    Win XP Pro with SP2
    512 MB ram

Welcome to Windrivers Omnivorous

What version directx are you running? Should be 9.0c

The other thing to note is that some card manufacturers don't just use the reference design, they have their own, so their cards cannot use the standard reference drivers nvidia supplies.... having said that, I wonder if this is a monitor driver problem - the fact that you cannot see a result makes it a possibility.

The other things to check are that in bios the AGP multiplier is set correctly, that the card is plugged into an appropriate motherboard (voltages) and the AGP Apeture is set to at least 64mb and that fastwrites may need to be off.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes I have directx 9c, since i was playing a couple of games that require that this. Well i've heard about nVidia being a chipset but that some producers change it a bit. I could try downloading the one www.axle-hk.com supplies, since that is the url given by this program, but the card is produced by Peak and on their site they just direct me to nvidia.com.. so you'd think they work... the old drivers work perfectly..... maybe its a faulty video card?

The other things to check are that in bios the AGP multiplier is set correctly, that the card is plugged into an appropriate motherboard (voltages) and the AGP Apeture is set to at least 64mb and that fastwrites may need to be off.
    I have no idea how to set the AGP multiplier correctly, or the voltages, apeture, or where i find fastwrite..

UPDATE: I've tried to install the 71.90 drivers that i talked about above. Installation went well, no crash like with the other, newer drivers. I had to reboot and as soon as I saw a windows logo the screen again went black with the white lines, and then my monitor shut down.
    Last edited by Omnivorous; October 12th, 2005 at 06:12 AM.

ok, the agp multiplier etc can be found in the bios settings. As soon as you start up the computer you can press a key to get into the menu that controls the hardware at the basic level. Usually this key is the del key - but can be others.

Aopen downloads is here
    choose your product (motherboard) model etc. and here is a directlink to the manual The various bios settings in most manuals shown in there.... but not aopen, you will have to go into the menu and fish around to find these settings. Not all bioses have all these settings - it is dependent on what AOpen decides.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've found that my mobo supports AGP 4X, and my video card support AGP 4X/8X...

In the BIOS it was set on 2X, should i set it on 4X?

Apeture is 64mb, and fastwrite is disabled

yes set it to 4x and you may want to up the apeture to 128

Quote Originally Posted by Omnivorous
    ..Furthermore, in my Control Panel I have 3 (!) NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager icons and they all work. When I uninstall the drivers, reboot etc and look in my Control Panel, there are 2 icons left. This makes me feel as if there are some things left of older installations, but i used driver cleaner to remove those... so i thought anyway...
    Well you thought wrong then, or is that right ?!? - if this is still the case then I'd say you still may have registry entries etc that might be causing you difficulty, this warrants further attention imho.

On the 'what speed should the agp multiplier be set' question, for now for troubleshooting, best setting is 1x (when/if we fix it, then turn it up to its maximum)

& also for troubleshooting, any 'fastwrite', 'fast read' or 'write combining' options found in bios are also best off, for now .

I was wondering whether it was objecting to being forced to run slowly... it's a minimum 4x , max 8x... older 4x cards would run at 1 or 2, for troubleshooting at least... but I wonder if that is true of an 8x card that will run at 4x

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I was wondering whether it was objecting to being forced to run slowly... it's a minimum 4x , max 8x... older 4x cards would run at 1 or 2, for troubleshooting at least... but I wonder if that is true of an 8x card that will run at 4x
    Ah right gotcha .. it gets complicated as its also to do with the mysterious 'driving value' found in most bioses (the strength of the signal up & down the agp bus) & you should 'in theory' set both at once, because as you up the speed on the agp bus, it may be necessary to increase the signal strength to stop cross interferance.

As we are a bit 'ummm ahhh' I'd suggest trying both settings & see, only a couple of re-boots to find out ? (the optimum driving value would also be handy, but 'my google' doesn't seem to be able to locate one).

My money though is still on something lurking in either startup or the reg causing these extra control panel entries which definately shouldn't be there ..

a btw for Omnivorous - if you have difficulties with reading the screen in 'safe mode', what you want to use for troubleshooting etc ' is what it calls 'vga mode' - most confusingly windows xp will still try to use any installed video driver in safe mode, whilst in vga mode, it uses a standard generic system driver (the one used in windows setup).

Ok i don't really understand the last two posts you guys made

I've mailed Peak Hardware and they're trying to help me now, testing a similar graphics card or something... Since i got rid of my receipt, I can't return the card to the shop where i bought it even though i'm still within the warranty period...

I still have the 3 nView icons in my control panel, did look at the registry and found NVIDIA there, but not 3 similar entries... so i'm not going to mess around with that. I noticed i could use a good (preferably free) reg cleaner cause there are a lot of entries for uninstalled and deleted things..

Also about the AGP apeture, i've browsed through the mobo manual but couldn't find anything about that. I have no clue what apeture is, so i'm not gonna change that untill i know it should be safe to do so...

Thanks anyway for your help so far!

AGP Apeture is safe to change as long as it is changed to higher than 64mb.

I was thinking that you have an 8x card that can run at 4x - but you had it set to 2x. So change it to 4x. Confus-ed agreed with me, but also pointed out that testing at 1x wouldn't hurt.

As for returning the card to the shop. I have never returned goods to the shop when faulty unless it's in the first month. Go to the manufacturers website for your country and get an RMA.

Hopefully what NooNoo said straightened out what we put ?, sometimes comments, get a bit technical, as we are trying to explain our reasoning to each other & not necessarily you, to help us to help you ( I hope that makes sense ! )

..I still have the 3 nView icons in my control panel..
    This most definately ISN'T right, & before we think about returning anything, I'd want to 'solve' this ..

This, is a correct explanation about AGP aperture size, but I don't think its anything to do with matters here, its a "performance" value, not a "it'll stop windoze working" value

Wouldn't the driver cleaner in the sticky at the top of the video forum remove these applet icons confus-ed?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Wouldn't the driver cleaner in the sticky at the top of the video forum remove these applet icons confus-ed?
    He tried it already ?
    but i used driver cleaner to remove those... so i thought anyway...
    I've a feeling though that it's (drivercleaner) only aimed at getting rid of the driver bit (it'll have a big fat list of files & their expected locations to go through & delete, I'd imagine, & no real 'intelligence' to deal with anything out of the ordinary - & we are only 'confident about it' because of that quote I turned up at nvidia !?), & the control panel extensions are a different matter ?

They (the control panel entries) most definately shouldn't be there two or three times - only once.

Time methinks for a bit of judicious registry pruning ? (back up your registry & get looking for anything 'nvidia related' & zap it until we get to the bit in italics which follows) , I don't think we are ever getting to a 'clean' starting position .. ideally we want no 'foreign' drivers & 'standard vga' showing in device manager & no control panel extensions whatsoever, then try some newer drivers, I don't think we ever got to that position.

I have the same problem

The same thing is happening to me.

I was happily playing games for two years using a gforcefx 5600, 256mb card (leadtek) then about 1 month ago all 3d games stopped working.

I ran dxdiag and went to display, when I did a direct3d test, my computer frooze, screen went black and computer rebooted itself. So i reinstalled directx9c, same problem, so direct3d was not working.

So did virus scans, spyware scans nothing detected. Did memory and cpu tests, all fine. Cleaned (but not repaired) registry using C Cleaner (free), defrag and cleaned hard disk. Checked it as well...all fine.

Tried to reinstalled latest nvidia drivers, (following the hints on the web site, deactivate virus scanners, uninstilling old drivers etc) no drivers would installed, from the most recent (8 series) to the older ones (7 and 6 series)

when I try installing nvidia drivers I get the following error message

"THE NVIDIA SETUP PROGRAM COULD NOT LOCATE ANY DRIVERS THAT ARE COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR HARDWARE. SETUP WILL NOW EXIT"

So I thought it was a dead graphics card. I have gone to other forums and a lot of people also suggests that it may be a mobo problem (AGP not working) or a dodgy power supply. I must say sometimes when I try and start my computer, i have to press the on/off switch 2 or 3 times to fire up the computer or push the switch for a few seconds.

I am really lost, so I an going to try a new video card the 6600gt, and try and replace the power supply.

Any other suggestions???????????

system
    k7n2 delta mobo
    3000+Barton amd
    1gb ram (3200mhz)
    fx5600, 256mb
    120Gb HDD
    winxp, sp2