Wireless Network Lag
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network Lag

Angry Wireless Network Lag

I have a netgear wgr614v6 wireless router hooked to my main computer and a notebook with an Intel wireless G card built in, both are new computers(im to give specs right now) and when we play games on the network I get alot of lag off and on on the notebook comp(we usually play Half-life1,Battle Field 2, Worms armageddon). I still get lag if im 7 feet away from the router.

-Thanks

For gameing you shoud use a wired connection
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Yeah but my problem is my other computer is downstairs, I can't install ethernet wiring in my walls.

Then you need to see what is using the bandwidth or if the ethernet is performing at its full spec...

have a read of this advice and ping the router/ap see what kind of ping times you are getting.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

have we got wep/wpa & all that 'protection' stuff on ? (big fat overhead ! & munches 'lots' {maybe up to 1 third !} of the packet size )

& does the fact that you said 'still get lag if im 7 feet away from the router' mean you don't if you move it closer ? (outside interferance ?)

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    have we got wep/wpa & all that 'protection' stuff on ? (big fat overhead ! & munches 'lots' {maybe up to 1 third !} of the packet size )

& does the fact that you said 'still get lag if im 7 feet away from the router' mean you don't if you move it closer ? (outside interferance ?)
    Yes I have wpa on and im not broadcasting the ssid, no I don't think it has anything to do with interferance but i'll check. When playing games should I not broadcast the ssid and turn off wep/wpa? I'm a little worried about security because I have file sharing on.

use mac filtering as a test - you have a firewall?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I think for online/network gameing there will "allways" be some lag with wireless
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    use mac filtering as a test - you have a firewall?
    I have software firewalls but I turned them off, what do you mean just turn on mac filtering when I turn off wep/wpa?

Mac filtering is what a router can do.
    Based on the mac address of the networks cards it can allow only certain ones to connect.
    Another security feature of decent routers
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Mac filtering is what a router can do.
    Based on the mac address of the networks cards it can allow only certain ones to connect.
    Another security feature of decent routers
    Thanks, I didn't mean to appear to be totally clueless I know what mac filtering is but any explanations are always a plus .

P.S Ferrit what do you mean by Vancouver Island, the Real Canada?

It is the real Canada
    We have the best scenery
    We have the best weather
    We have the best recreation
    And very very few politicians
    And I didnt mean for you to feel clueless, few people have any idea what mac filtering is
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I'm not familiar with this brand of router, does it have anything like 'game mode' ? Generally this has a habit of mangling up packets as if it finds what it thinks is an IP address in the data bit of the packet it'll try & 'correct' that too.. anything like this found in a router that's supposed to help with lots of concurrent connections generally does anything but ..

& on the sugestion about using 'just' mac filtering (if your ssid broadcast is off & you've picked a nice non guessable name anyway), well its what I do - I can't think what 'top secret' info I have that actually 'needs encrypting', I just don't want 'random' neighbours nicking my connection

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I'm not familiar with this brand of router, does it have anything like 'game mode' ? Generally this has a habit of mangling up packets as if it finds what it thinks is an IP address in the data bit of the packet it'll try & 'correct' that too.. anything like this found in a router that's supposed to help with lots of concurrent connections generally does anything but ..

& on the sugestion about using 'just' mac filtering (if your ssid broadcast is off & you've picked a nice non guessable name anyway), well its what I do - I can't think what 'top secret' info I have that actually 'needs encrypting', I just don't want 'random' neighbours nicking my connection
    WARNING!: Dumb Question!. By having the encryption off would credit card numbers, emails etc, be visible to anyone who could pick up the datastream?

And know my router doesn't have a "game mode" heres a link to my routers info page

Also I saw some Linksys and Belkin wi-fi cards at Wal-Mart since they were both Wi-Fi certified would it be fine to use those in my other computers so they could connect to the router?

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    WARNING!: Dumb Question!. By having the encryption off would credit card numbers, emails etc, be visible to anyone who could pick up the datastream?
    Yup, but I haven't got any bank details flying about (there's no way I'm buying all that 'online banking is completely safe' stuff - what happens when I get spyware? I'd be far more concerned about that if I were you, than somebody sat outside scanning for your bank details) & I don't really care who wants to read my e-mails