Gateway mobo startup problem

Thread: Gateway mobo startup problem

Post Gateway mobo startup problem

Greetings all,
    I have here a Gateway G6-233M system. It was working perfectly until just a while ago.

Has Windows 95 and all factory installed cards.

This system has the USR X2 modem on board. I planned on flashing it to V.90m but didn't know the part #. So, I opened the case, removed the card, and get the part number off of it. Put card back in same slot, rebooted.

Upon reboot the system gave this message: Entering configuration mode" and then this "system configuration date updated" then it goes into the BIOS setup screen. If you exit out of the BIOS, and gives this message: Jumpers must be returned to normal position for settings to take effect. It is now safe to turn your system off.

Upon shutdown and restart, it does the same thing over again. it never gets past this. Kind of a loop thing.

I changed no jumpers or anything else in the system. I know there is a jumper setting to config the bios, but it is set correctly & not been moved.

Gateway basically told me to take it to an authorized service center.

Any help?

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Will it boot with the card out? Can you please post the part # for the mobo here so I know just which family you have. It's my (mis?) fortune to have an office full of cows and thus I've gained an intimate knowledge of their inner workings. Also check around the bios for chassis intrusion detection, and if it's there disable it. if you can't find the board part# the bios ID string should do.......
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Thanks for the reply - just about at my wits end on this one. The MB part # is E139761. There is also this stamped on it: ISAL73749202

It has 4 PCI, 2 ISA, 1 AGP. Is a slot 1 mobo.

Thanks again,

Al

correction:

The mobo part # is: 4000206. It still goes right into configuration mode.

Somebody help me please,

Al