MSI K7TPro2A Power on issue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSI K7TPro2A Power on issue

Post MSI K7TPro2A Power on issue

I just put together a new computer for a friend and it has a MSI K7TPro-2A MB. For some reason when you first turn the power on the computer acts as if it is starting but nothing happens. You can hear the HD wirring up and the fans and all but notheing comes on screen and the Floppy doesn't do it's check. There are no beeps or anything. Just everything turns on and then sits there doing nothing. Far as I can tell and because Windows has not given any error messages about loading then being shut down incorrectly I am assuming nothing is going on. Soon as I press the reset button the computer comes up normally.

Thanks,
    Eric
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...

Since this is a jumperless motherboard, my first advice would be to check the cpu settings in bios, then check what the default video device is.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Some MSI boards also have a problem booting to 40Gb and larger HD's. MSI has BIOS upgrades for their boards which have this problem...I've had to flash a couple of their 645 Ultra boards.....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

The CPU settings, I didn't touch. I just plugged the CPU in and booted up. It is a 1.2G chip. What should I look for that might be wrong?

The HD is only a 8G IBM Bigfoot.

[quote]Originally posted by eedmond:
    Soon as I press the reset button the computer comes up normally.

Did You try another PSU? - it could be bad power supply...or just bad motherboard...

No I didn't. Both are brand new parts. Can't afford to buy new ones to test. Any other ideas?

-Eric

No I didn't. Both are brand new parts. Can't afford to buy new ones to test. Any other ideas?

-Eric

Nobody suggested you should be buying new parts, merely that you should test them. Do you have another atx pc to try the powersupply in for instance? If the parts prove to be faulty you should return them and get them replaced.

As for setting the cpu in bios - you should have got a manual with the motherboard that explains how to set the cpu up. If you didn't get the manual, go back to your supplier and ask for it or download it from the manufacturer site.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

plug the CPU fan into another poer port (only if its conenctedt to the motherboard)

My friends board did this. I just plugged the cpu fan into another fan connector on the mobo. Started right up.

I had this exact problem. It ended up being the sound card for me (AuidoVortex). As soon as I removed the card and reset the machine once it hasnt ever done it again. The BIOS upgrades the guys suggested earlier may solve this.
    I dont feel tardy...

are you sure you have the power on and reset switch plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard? You said NOTHING comes up when you first hit the power on button?

do you have more than one video card in the pc?

Daemon: I will try that thanks.

Cygnus: The Soundcard is built in so I can't remove it. I can try disabling it but I doubt that is the problem.

Asm481: Yes. It does power on just nothing happens. The HD whirrs, fans go but beyond that nothing.

korpse: No. Just a single AGP. I have BIOS set as AGP as primary video.

I believe it might be a wire issue. When I unplug the secondary USB ports (the ones that are for the front of the case). It boots up fine I have found. But when I plug them in correctly then it does this not boot until reset. If I take the ground on one of them (Top port) especially and twist it so the words "Ground" does not face the same direction as the other words on the wires then it boots fine but the port doesn't work. Then when I twist the word to be readable with the other cables then the USB works but the boot problem occurs.

Any ideas? I think the USB thing is the culprit.

-Eric

Daemon: I will try that thanks.

Cygnus: The Soundcard is built in so I can't remove it. I can try disabling it but I doubt that is the problem.

Asm481: Yes. It does power on just nothing happens. The HD whirrs, fans go but beyond that nothing.

korpse: No. Just a single AGP. I have BIOS set as AGP as primary video.

I believe it might be a wire issue. When I unplug the secondary USB ports (the ones that are for the front of the case). It boots up fine I have found. But when I plug them in correctly then it does this not boot until reset. If I take the ground on one of them (Top port) especially and twist it so the words "Ground" does not face the same direction as the other words on the wires then it boots fine but the port doesn't work. Then when I twist the word to be readable with the other cables then the USB works but the boot problem occurs.

Any ideas? I think the USB thing is the culprit.

-Eric

Saw this on one today...bad USB harness....

On what the MB or the Case?

-Eric

On what the MB or the Case?

-Eric

On the model I was working on, MSI ships a harness that attaches to the MB and then to one of the expansion slots in the case. There're still two USB's mounted on the MB next to the keyboard and PS/2 mouse ports and the user didn't need the two extras so we left it at that. If she ever needs more ports, we'll probably just give her a USB hub.....faster and cheaper than RMA'ing the whole MB.....