Internet Explorer strangeness...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer strangeness...

Unhappy Internet Explorer strangeness...

Hi,

I have a real strange problem with Internet Explorer (version 6, with SP2). When I go to "about Internet explorer" in the menu I get the following error:
    "Error: 53
    Not enough storage is available to complete this operation".

Pretty strange for such an insignificant operation, eh?

Well, if this was the only problem I wouldn't mind, but I also get a similar error message when using the software XSite Pro, that apparently uses explorer when you design your pages.

XSite works fine otherwise, but when I try to insert a link or anchor through the "designer window" in the appliation I always get two error messages. The first one:

"An error has occured in the script of this page. Not enough storage is available to complete this operation".

and the second..
    "'browser.ie is null or not an object
    file://C:Program FilesXSite Proeditordialogslink.html"

I can click yes or no, but the end result is always that no link can be inserted into the page...

Do you think this error is mainly caused by Internet explorer, or is the problem more deeply rooted in Win XP?

I have run multiple spyware and anti-virus scans (which did find som problems), but that didn't solve this issue.

I have also tried booting to safe mode, but even in safe mode explorer gives the exact same error when clicking the "about" function.

Any ideas? I SO wouldn't have the time to do a complete re-install of Windows...

Welcome to Windriver Bhakans

Have you run this by the tech support at xsite? This kind of sounds like a plug in problem. Do you have any toolbars or extra icons installed with IE?

you could try reinstalling IE6 Use the edit registry and install ie6 method.

If you are not using XP then 98 and 2000 uninstall
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you NooNoo,

I asked support at Xsite, but they haven't (so far) been able to come up with anything else than that the software could have problems with non-Roman characters (like å ä ö) in various paths to the temporary directories. However changing all paths to containing 100% Roman characters only hasn't helped...besides that can't explain the error message suddenly appearing from the "about" menu?

Yes, I have windows XP Pro Sp2 and I have google toolbar and InstantBuzz toolbar installed. But since the same error happens even in safe mode it can't have anything to do with the toolbars, or can it?

I have thought about installing IE6 again, but isn't the "edit registry and install ie6 method" for SP1 only? What will happen on a computer with SP2 installed? And how do I re-install IE6 after making the registry change - will it be done automatically by running windows update or shoud I use add/remove programs?

By the way, I alreready tried using the first option of running "sfc /scannow", but that didn't seem to change anything...

Toolbars are the ones that usually screw it up. I have never hear of "instantbuzz" so I would say to you to uninstall it correctly then go looking in the registry to make SURE it has gone - go as far as downloading hijackthis or bhodaemon to check that it is not still partly active.

I can tell you google toolbar is not likely to be the culprit - but it could be if it has corrupted.... so do the same for google toolbar as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have now removed all the toolbars and their registry entries - Internet Explorer still keeps eluding me with the same problem. Right now I am running an in depth malware scan as per recommendation on this site
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    where I also downloaded Hijack This.

Another thing I have discovered is that if I manually try to go to the windows update site, I get the following message in my browser:

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website."

...funny-strange since I should be running IE 6...I have been using the automatic update feature since I installed SP2, so I don't know when this change would have happened or if it is normal even?

nope, you have a corrupt internet explorer. You need to run the repairs/uninstall I recommended earlier - start with the add/remove programs method - click remove and take the repair option.

...okay...

So I should start by deleting that registry entry mentioned on Microsofts page and then use windows update to reinstall or..?

Because I guess explorer can't be removed like other programs from the add/remove programs menu?

Sorry for nagging you like this, but I would like to have a clear picture of exactly what to do before I start messing with explorer.

add/remove programs in control panel, then click on the add/remove windows components... uncheck the ie box and apply.

Now I am really confused!

I did all of the above, including changing the registry key in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

But it seems that the corrupt version is still there, or at least I can't install the IE 6 pack I downloaded. It just says that I already have a newer version installed so setup can't continue.

What am I missing here?

Did you reinstall service pack 2?

A client had the same problem !
    After reinstalling any version of IE (from version 4 to 6 !! lol) and re-install SP2, the problem was already here !
    The main problem was a virus "TROJAN-GEN", I followed some intructions on internet to remove it without any succes ! Then i tried a format without succes too !

I Had to do a "total format" (low level format) to remove this fu##### virus !
    (Only AVAST had detected the virus !)

thanks for the tip md-kiki
    Often trojans are difficult to spot. To check for trojans you really need software which looks for all trojan activity rather than virus activity. I use a-squared - www.emsisoft.com both free and paid.

Well, I fixed the original problem, sort of...

I downloaded the complete SP2 pack, uninstalled the old SP2 from my computer. After this I lost all connectivity to my network (just one other computer) and the Internet.

After installing SP2 again Internet Explorer now seems to have gotten rid of the problem mentioned earlier, but I am still entirely without Internet connectivity.

I connect to the Internet through a router and another computer (the one I am typing this message on), and as soon as I start Windows I get an icon in the taskbar informing me that the local area network connection is not functioning. If I click it and try to repair the connection it just says "Can't renew IP-address" or something like that.

It have also got the following message a couple of times:

"Windows must restart because the remote procedure call service terminated unexpectedly"
    And the it will give a count-down and automatically restart.

So what do you think? Out of the ashes and into the flames, eh?

Winsock taken a dump - try running this.

It worked - how about that!!

Now all of the mentioned problems, including those with Xsite pro, are cured.

NooNoo - you are definately the hero of the week.

Thank you!