Are Seagate hard drives good?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Seagate hard drives good?

Are Seagate hard drives good?

When I built my new PC, they were out of WD drives, so I get Seagates, they certainyl are a lot noisier, but other than that is there anything bad about Seagate drives? Are they as reliable? Should I exchange them for WDs like I used to have? Or even use my old WDs that I restored from instead? The Seagates I got are 120GB each instead of 80 each, so unless they are known to have problems I'd prefer to keep them.

Thanks

keep the seagates... I use them in preference to others
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I just did a search on the forums and read good things about them. I also saw they have a 5 year warranty and NCQ. Does my motherboard need anything special for NCQ to work? It is an Asus A8V Deluxe. They are also connected in RAID 0, does that prevent NCQ from working in anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    When I built my new PC, they were out of WD drives, so I get Seagates, they certainyl are a lot noisier ...

If you want to reduce the HD noise try SilverStone FP53. I installed one last week and can't believe the silence!! The only possible downside is the "cloaked" drives have to be mounted in your 5.25" bays. They cost about $30 each.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

I already have three 5.25 drives (DVD, DVDRW, Tape) and only one free 5.25 bay left, and I have 2 hard drives, the noise doesn't really bother me anyway, I kind of like it, now I can know when the hard drive is working without looking at the power led, but then again, my old mobo didn't have an HHD led connector for the onboard raid, and with the complete silence of my old WD drives, it was impossible to know when they were working.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    keep the seagates... I use them in preference to others
    Like Noo said...

I've had good results with Seagate, and generally they've been quiet, but that varies depending on whether Quiet Seek is enabled, if it is then seek time is increased to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    . Does my motherboard need anything special for NCQ to work? It is an Asus A8V Deluxe.
    So yeah it needs to be NCQ capable, & I'm damned sure you can google that info yourself

Drives being in raid won't affect NCQ if everything is fully NCQ capable, all ncq is doing is letting the drive/controller decide what order to execute commands in (well its probably much more than that, with a load of proviso's but 'near enough')

No your chipset does not suport NCQ. Get an Nforce 4, not that you'll really gain THAT much speed from it......
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit D. Frog
    No your chipset does not suport NCQ. Get an Nforce 4, not that you'll really gain THAT much speed from it......
    here we go again...........

Not to be different, but I use exclusively Western Digital desktop drives and Fujitsu for lappies.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

For what it's worth, HP uses Seagate disk drives in practically all of their big main frames and/or servers. Yes, they fail as does any brand of drives but I like them also.

How likely is it that my tape drive would fail on the latest nforce chipset as it does on the one I had? Did the fix the USB ports that keep shutting down for no apparent reason eveyr now and then requiring a complete power drain (unplug PC then turn it on to drain the power that's left) to get them back again? The nforce audio bugs are now irrelevant even if they're still there since my new TV card uses digital audio through the PCI slot and I'll get a PCI sound card soon anyway.

What about the nvidia driver updates that render the PC unbootable, is that fixed? And is nvidia still living in upside down land where a driver update adds more bugs and fixes none of the past ones? Does the system still crash when you try to access the onboard LAN properties?

Even if they got all that fixed, I don't think they deserve a 2nd chance, 1 or 2 bugs I can understand, but not the entire boatload of bugs my MSI K7N2G-ILSR had.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    Not to be different, but I use exclusively Western Digital desktop drives and Fujitsu for lappies.
    Same here - I have no complaints with Seagate, but I've always used WD, nothing else.

Well I can say for myself with an Nforce3 board, never had any USB probs and as for driver updates, I have done them and nothing stopped working the way it should I also put my vote in for the seagate drives, never had any reason to complain with them in any system I have used them in
    "...nothing about us, without us..."