Toshiba SD-2212 Burning probs.

Thread: Toshiba SD-2212 Burning probs.

Toshiba SD-2212 Burning probs.

I think it started after the sp2 upgrade.
    I've been waiting awhile to see if this problem has happened to enough people so a quick fix can be made. I see a few complaints about this drive, but not exactly the same as mine.

It started one day when It wouldn't recognise a blank CD out of a stack I've been using for a while. I grabbed a RW disk, recognised it fine and burned it.

When I can get it to burn a cd. some of the files will be corrupt. Should I just slow my burning speed down?

It reads DVDs fine. reads CDs fine. just won't burn consistantly.

Oh yeah i just ran that devfilter thing and it gave me this

Upper - Redbook
    Device object - Toshiba DVD Rom SD-2212
    Lower Class Filter- PxHelp20
    Lower Device Filter- imapi

My drive's firmware hasn't been updated it's Rev. 1013.

Any Ideas??

Hi deadeye welcome to wd forums, nice of you to introduce yourself in forum rollcall ("finally" somebody 'new' worked out how it should work ! )

What are you using to burn with ? "Sonic" something or other ? (that's what PxHelp20 is from, but they make a few different products which all use the same or similar 'burning engines')

So my initial advice would be to 'add/remove' this & any other recording s/w you had present before adding sp2 (its to do with patch magement & extra features, so some programs aren't effectively installed properly)

I'm not clear what you are saying about 'blank disks' - are you saying, ordinary cd's won't burn, but a rewriteable will ?

If that was a 'one off', I'd just think I was using 'iffy' media (to your unit - some 'like' other brands more than others ) & slow my recording down until I found some it 'liked' better ...

I'm using Drag and Drop. (It came with the computer, which is a Toshiba Satillite 1905-301, by the way)
    I recently reloaded Drag and Drop. same problem. But I didn't try the remove it first.

I'm not clear what you are saying about 'blank disks' - are you saying, ordinary cd's won't burn, but a rewriteable will ?
    I had been using a spindle of blank disks for a while before I upgraded to sp2. I had burned about half of them, no problems... After the sp2 upgrade, the drive wouldn't recognise a blank disk from the same batch. The only other blank disks I had laying around at the time was some RW disks, so I tried one of those, and the drive recognized it.
    Since then, I've tried other brands and it recogizes them, and burns blank cd-r, but the burns are sometimes "flaky". Meaning.. some files read fine, some files won't..

I believe its a software problem, because my drive got picky about disks, about the same time I upgraded to sp2. AND... it started burning "flaky" disks.

Who has good info on this drive. Re: firmware updates and faqs. with recommended software and drivers (wouldn't that be nice)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye901
    I recently reloaded Drag and Drop. same problem. But I didn't try the remove it first.
    Right so I think all of that means, you are gonna try my suggestion ?

& for more info try Toshiba storage .

That's right.
    I'll keep you posted on what I do.

Ok, I removed and reloaded "Drag and Drop CD" It recognized a blank disk, I recorded to it on my fastest speed and with byte compare verify on.
    Near the end of the verifying it stops, and one of those windose error boxes pops up
    it reads somthing like..... Drag and Drop Cd has run into a problem and needs to shut down. .... So I let it shut down. I had to reboot before I could get the drives tray to eject. I read the disk it just burned and it seems to be ok.. (theres a bunch of files, I didn't check them all).
    Because of the windose error box, I suspected a conflict with windows CD writing software. So I turned that off. (on recording tab, under properties, of CD drive)

Next try.
    I load blank cd. No nothing. (I usually asked me what i want to do with blank media) it does nothing this time.
    I go to my computer. It knows a disk is in the drive. but shows zero bytes, zero available.
    So I try to drag some files to my Drag and Drop software, and it works. Records fine, Records on highest recording speed, and passes the byte compare verify fine.
    It's a little strange to use. but I can live with it.

Now to see if the cds will work in other drives.