USB 256MB mp3 player

Thread: USB 256MB mp3 player

USB 256MB mp3 player

Hi,

I have a compaq presario with an AMD Athlon Xp Processor. I just bought a usb mp3 player and when I plug it into 1 of my 8 usb ports, it reads it for like 3 seconds and then it goes away. When I uninstall the driver for the usb port and put it back in, it says that there was an error in installing the device and the device might not work. The mp3 works fine because it works on all my roomate's computers and i know that my usb ports work because I use a 256MB flash drive on it everyday and it doesn't give me any problems. Can anybody help me?

-Carlo

Welcome to Windrivers Carolb

First thing I need to know is the presario model number, second, which windows and what service pack (if any installed).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey NooNoo,

It's a compaq presario SR1055CL; AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+. And I have Windows Xp, Home edition, version 2002, service pack 2.

-Carlolb

Hmmm Via chipset...

your pc specs

The 9 in 1 has an update here and the reason for the update may be what the problem is for you... Try this first (reboot after the update).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey NooNoo,

Yeah via chipset. I downloaded the update but it still won't read the usb mp3 player.

Carlo

OK, the next thing to try is removing any and all mention of usb in safemode from both add/remove programs and device manager. Then go into the compaq setup and turn off the onboard usb.

Reboot to normal mode, there should be no detection on usb hubs, controllers or other devices, if there is, you missed something.

When it's all clear, go back into compaq setup and re enable the usb. Boot to normal mode and allow it install the usb hubs and controllers. When it has got completely to desktop, reboot.
    When it has got completely to desk top this time, add the driver for the mp3 player - you still do not plug ANY usb device in.. reboot
    When its got completely to desktop, plug in ONLY the mp3 player.... hopefully it will work this time.