Asus P5WD2 - bad design?

Thread: Asus P5WD2 - bad design?

Asus P5WD2 - bad design?

Hi All!

I'm posting this for a friend who just upgraded to a full replacement system. He's using (or trying to use) an Asus P5WD2 (non-premium) motherboard. The board will not POST consistantly. He is up to a third board now (the first two both had this same problem) and is concerned about his purchase and thoroughly disgusted with Asus' RMA department.

He is considering exchanging the board for the premium model, but Asus wants to charge him an extra $60 (NewEgg charges about $28 more for the premium).

Has anyone had any experience with this board? Has anyone here had this bad an experience with support from Asus?

Any information would be appreciated. TIA
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

I would look at the power supply before doing any more with the board...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If it was one bad board, you can put that down to luck, as not 100% always work, bound to be bad pieces, after 2 I'd say something is probably killing them, like NooNoo said, check the PSU and ask him what happens that the board dies. Asus are going to be asking questions if he keeps returning the same board with the same issue.

His power supply is a brand-new Antech rated for PCIe motherboards (I don't recall the exact model.....True Power II, I think). I'll pass on a link to this thread to him.

The board doesn't die, it hangs at drive detection. He's tried swapping RAM sticks, removing drives until he is booting with nothing but motherboard and video card, the problem remains the same. The board hangs at the same point; or may boot all the way and run fine. It's very inconsistant and very frustrating. I've suggested that he make sure nothing is touching the back of the motherboard.

Hopefully a solution can be found soon.

Thanks for your suggestions.

it hangs at drive detection
    5 things - first power supply
    second - read pages 2-36 and 2-37 of the manual - has he plugged in the 12v 4pin plug to the motherboard?
    third - change the IDE/SATA cables
    fourth - bios settings/bios update
    fifth - umm he is pressing f6 and loading the sata drivers isn't he?
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 24th, 2005 at 02:13 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks,Noo Noo.

Got an update this morning; he tried the third board over the weekend, it booted fine outside of the case. He then triple-checked the case to make sure nothing was shorting against the motherboard. Finally, he installed the motherboard......and got the same problem again!

He suspects that it may be a sensor lead that goes from the PSU to the motherboard so that the BIOS can monitor PSU fan speed. He's going to try unplugging that cable (since it's non-essential) and running the system that way.

In his talks with Asus, the Asus tech thought the initial problem was caused by a bad memory controller. That's why they have sent him two replacements so far.

Also, he has checked everything you suggested in your five steps.
    Hopefully he will get a chance to try the system again tonight.

Thanks again for your assistance.

It appears that the PSU fan speed sensor lead was the problem. Once that was unplugged from the motherboard, the system booted and ran successfully every time.

My friend will be sending that information on to Asus for their records, maybe there will be a BIOS update for this released.

Thanks again for your help, Noo Noo an TechZ.

Glad it's sorted. I wish the companies would pay when they don't solve the problem!