Questions Re: Older Gigabyte MOBO, etc.

Thread: Questions Re: Older Gigabyte MOBO, etc.

Threaded View

Resolved Questions Re: Older Gigabyte MOBO, etc.

I have an older Gigabyte MOBO: GA-7ZX with Via KT133 Chipset running on Wins 98SE using a Maxtor 40-GIG HD for the last 5 years without any issues. However, with MS support coming to an end for Wins 98SE (except for critical updates until June of 2006), there are software programs I cannot obtain unless I have Wins XP as software companies are not including Wins 98SE as a compatible OS for many new programs. I, therefore, plan to install Wins XP on an 80-GIG HD but also wish to keep my old Wins 98SE 40-GIG HD for handling many of the graphics programs/filters/plugins I've accrued over the last 5 years. My solution is to use an ATA 100 Mobile Rack for HDs so I can switch out to whichever HD I want to use at a particular time.

Here's my dilemma. I've spent the last 2 days Google-searching for as much info as I can on my GA-7ZX MOBO but two things I've not been able to determine:

1) does the GA-7ZX MOBO (with its origianl BIOS settings) support 80-GIG HDs without having to update the bios via bios flashing?

2) is there a way for me to save my current bios settings to a floppy disk in case something goes wrong if I have to flash the bios to get the support for a larger HD?
    Last edited by Bintaur1; October 24th, 2005 at 10:32 AM.