The data is not valid

Thread: The data is not valid

The data is not valid

Hey everyone, i have been using this site to try to help me with my own problems, and everything i have needed i have found. That is, until now. I just purchased a fuji finepix A350 digital camera and it will not let me install the drivers for it. I am running windows xp pro sp2, with all current critical updates. When I plug it in and turn it on, it brings up the found new hardware wizard. It tries to install the driver, for a usb mass storage device, which is right, but then it says that the data is invalid, and it fails to install. I know that my camera is working fine, because i plugged it into a friend's computer, and it recognized it just fine, as well as had full use to take pictures off of it. I tried replacing the windows file "driver.cab", as microsoft suggested, but to no avail. I saw many posts about changing regedit values, but to PCI keys, but it connects through a usb port, so i dont think it would be that, but I am not very good at the software side of computers, any help would be really appreciated.

First off are you plugging it into a front usb port?
    Is the system capable of USB 2.0?
    Have you updated the chipset drivers which also control the usb?
    Just some things to check
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The data is not valid is a classic driver problem - the writers forgot to set the permissions right...

here is a fix but not for your camera, you have to substitute your camera model and make sure you find the right keys.

here is the microsoft fix
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have updated all of the motherboard drivers, to no avail. I have tried to plug it in all 6 of my usb 2.0 slots, 2 in front, other 4 in back, i have the dfi lanparty II ultra b motherboard if that help anything. I have tried replacing the windows file drivers.cab and that did nothing. As for the regedit solution, i understand how to access it, but do i still look in the PCI folder for the device? I only ask because it is a usb camera.

try an updated driver before anything else.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have tried the updates from fuji, but a friend's comp worked with it, and all we did was plug it in, so the camera works just fine, but my comp just doesn't like it, and i do not know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinfang
    I have updated all of the motherboard drivers, to no avail. I have tried to plug it in all 6 of my usb 2.0 slots, 2 in front, other 4 in back, i have the dfi lanparty II ultra b motherboard if that help anything. I have tried replacing the windows file drivers.cab and that did nothing. As for the regedit solution, i understand how to access it, but do i still look in the PCI folder for the device? I only ask because it is a usb camera.
    You would need to look under usbstor...

There is another very useful site www.usbman.com start with the general troubleshooter if changing the permissions on the relevant usbstor keys doesn't work.