]“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multime
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ]“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multime

“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multime

I just realized that soundmax is for the orgional audio card and since I have creative sound blaster live! I should down load the latest WINXP drivers,etc but when I tried to do that the error message that I got was that it could not detect any sound blaster audio card on my system. Any ideas on why it is not detecting it?

“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multimedia Audio Controller. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid”

I am having the same challange as the orgional thread (see below mine for what he went through). I installed soundmax in safe mode and the latest 850 chipset in both normal and safe and still nothing has changed. I tried another audio card as well and still the same outcome. I am running windows XP on a dell demension 8100 desktop that I purchased in 2001. All I want is some sound so my 5yr old can use it for his learning games..please help! Thanks,AC

Computer Spec:

Pentium 4 CPU 1400 MHZ
    RAM: 640MB DDR 1.39 GHZ
    82850 Processor to I/O Controller 2530
    Soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!

Here is the orgional thread:

I have done a fresh installation of Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 integrated. After installation is done and Windows is working, I have to install the Intel(R) Chipset INF update and Analog Devices SoundMax Digital Audio from the CD that came with the Intel D845PESV motherboard.

The INF update was successfully installed, and the SoundMax also looks like it was installed correctly. However, Windows then detect a new hardware installation. This was for the Multimedia Audio Controller that it found just right after finish installation of the Analog Devices Soundmax.

I try to install the drivers that is on the CD that came with the Intel motherboard, I got the following error message:

[B]“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multimedia Audio Controller. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid”

Under Device Manager, the Multimedia Audio Controller has the yellow exclamation mark.

The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I tried reinstalling, but keep getting the same “The Data is Invalid” message. I try to look up if there are any new update drivers on Intel’s website, but the only one available is on Intel’s website is dated January 7, 2003. I bought my computer on July 2003. So I assumed what I have on the CD should be the same or maybe even newer. I tried checking Microsoft Windows update page for it, and nothing available either.

All this time during the installation and reinstallation I was login as Administrator.

What I have done so far without success:

Uninstall the device, and when WINXP detects it again, I browse to the CD driver folder to specify the drivers
    Uninstall/Reinstall SoundMax in regular WINXP mode
    Uninstall/Reinstall SoundMax in Safe Mode
    Tried using different drivers that was available from WINXP system for the various version of AC’97 Audio Controller
    Made sure BIOS Setup Utility setting for Sound/Audio is ENABLED
    Made sure the Jumper setting for the audio line out signals are routed to the back panel audio line out connector.

Any help is appreciated. Right now I can’t get any sound because of this. By the way, everything is working just fine when I was using Windows XP Pro SP1 operating system. I’m not sure if this problem has anything to do with SP2 being installed. If it is, I cannot find any reference about it in Microsoft website about it.

UPDATE:

I tried to reinstall the SoundMax from the Intel CD again. But this time I cannot install, and got the error messsage:

An installtion component failure occurred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hudsonsmithOctober 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM
    Welcome to windrivers printas. The multimedia audio controller you are getting errors for is the intel component, not the soundmax codec. Try installing the newest chipset drivers here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7484

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRINTASOctober 9th, 2004, 05:58 AM
    Welcome to windrivers printas. The multimedia audio controller you are getting errors for is the intel component, not the soundmax codec. Try installing the newest chipset drivers here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7484

Hello Hudsonsmith,

I can installed the INF Utility in the Intel CD Express Installer that came with the board. I started having problem when trying to install the SoundMax (to get the onboard sound card going).

However, the good news is just before I read your post here, I decided to download the SoundMax Driver that was on Intel's web that was 18MB (took 3 hours on dial-up) to give it a try. Well, the driver/application on the web although it says January 2003, it's actually newer than what I have on the Express Installer CD (I purchased the board in July 2003 and it came with this CD!). What do you know, I shouldn't have assumed just because July came after January means what's inside the CD is newer!

I installed the SoundMax setup.exe in Safe Mode. And it install smoothly without problem. Afterward, I boot up normally, and all the problem about Multimedia Audio Controller is FINISH/SOLVED!!! Now I have sound and can play all my MP3!!!!!

But I will download the new INF UTILITY Update you mentioned here anyway for future installation when I need them.
    Last edited by achase; October 24th, 2005 at 06:22 AM. Reason: More info

Welcome to Windrivers achase

couple of thoughts... did you turn off the onboard sound in the bios/cmos setup page?
    Have you tried changing slots for the soundblaster? Sometimes Creative cards decide they don't like a particular pci slot.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Noo Noo, I changed slots. as far as turning off the onboard sound in the bios/cmos setup page and do not recall seeing that option. Let me look again but my soundcard did work in the past so I am assuming the onboard must have been turned off

what is IRQ assignment mean? Also I turned of PC speakers from my BIOS..is that the same as on board speakers?

speakers are controlled by the soundcard. In your bios you will probably find entries for AC97 - not soundmax, in addition there may be Midi or game port, perhaps Dos sound or Soundblaster compatible.... depends on the machine.

IRQ's are the way a device gets the attention of the CPU or other processing chip on the motherboard. If you are out of irqs or your bios does not share irqs very well, then windows will have a hard job installing the hardware. Fixing this issue is not always easy... bios update is one way, turning off acpi and assigning them yourself is another, my preferred method is to turn off stuff you don't use - if you do not use your parallel LPT1 port or your com ports (serial ports) turn them off, they by freeing up resources and irqs in particular.

You want to achieve sound - does it matter to you whether the onboard sound is used or not? Do you know if the onboard sound works (or has done in the past?)

Do you know the brand/model of your computer? If not, download everest from my signature and post what it says about your motherboard.

Worst case scenario - some cheapie oem soundblaster lives refused point blank to work in certain machines or the drivers where only available on the cd that came with the soundblaster live.

You are about to learn more about installing sound drivers than you ever wanted to...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks, it was about 5AM pac time that i was posting last and I went back to bed anyhow I am back and ready to waste hours more on this insignificant challange..too bad I have OCD and am not on medication. Anyway thanks for the download here is some info.
    Dell Demension 8100 (purchased around 2001) now has 640K of RAM
    The creative labs sound blaster live discs that I have are '99 and '00 but oddly enough they say Dell on them so maybe they did come custom with the computer..I thought I purchased the the card in '02 or '03 but with 5 different computers that I own may I was mistaken.
    I had ME when I got the computer and have since upgraded to XP Home even though I could have sworn it was XP Pro like my other computers but that is not what my system says so lets call it XP Home.
    I have an Intel NetBurst 64Bit
    Intel Tehama (north bridge) i850E chipset
    Pentium 4 1400 Mhz processor
    BIOS is made by Phx tech

Did not see anything about AC97 or soundmax in bios.
    Because of what I mentioned earlier about creative coming with the system I may not have onboard..I just don't recall and I can't see anything in bios other than the pc speaker on/off. Also I have a wire that attaches to the card that is not hooked up to anything..could that mean anything?

Since I have several other computers that I use this one is not important for having more than one dvd/cd rom drive and 1 hd and floppy drive so I can shut down other ports I am just not sure which # is for which,etc. Any ideas on how I can determine that?

Thanks again,AC

OK, so you don't know if this creative card actually works...?

it has worked in the past but i tried a new card as well and it gave me the same "can't instal hardware" message

OK strange how these things go in packs... recently answered a thread with the same problem... try the ms fix first in your case.

noo noo, i thought you were ref to mt thread and i followed the link and now my computer is not detecting my audio card..i am heading to the set up wizard..thoughts? AC

sorry..you ref'd me to that thread so i guess that should work..will let you know

i have the latest driver for sound blaster live do i need seperate sw since i did not use my oem disc or should the driver be enough..at this point still no sound but i see with an ! sound blaster in my audio devices under device manager

Using the everest sw it shows me having a
    Creative SB Live! Value (CT4780) Sound Card but when I go to the creative website and try and download drivers for dell it tells me that it is not detecting any sound blaster audio card in my system. How does everest see it but not creative? I already tried your suggestion above and that seemed promising but i keep hitting dead ends

Download the dell drivers separately then uninstall the device(s) with ! and start the setup for the drivers immediately without rebooting or scanning for new hardware.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 25th, 2005 at 06:50 AM.

You replied in the referred thread... please don't do that, it gets all confus-ed.

Will split the posts and merge them into this.