IE Title Bar

Thread: IE Title Bar

IE Title Bar

I recently upgraded from Win98-2nd edition to winXP. When opening Internet explorer only the first character of the web page is displayed in the window title bar. I have tried reinstalling IE6, but it did'nt solve the problem. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Welcome to Windrivers PWMoyer!

this microsoft kb article tells you were the settings are in the registry for this... you can check they are correct.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by pwmoyer
    I recently upgraded from Win98-2nd edition to winXP. When opening Internet explorer only the first character of the web page is displayed in the window title bar. I have tried reinstalling IE6, but it did'nt solve the problem. Can anyone help?

Thanks

I have tried the registry changes suggested but it makes no difference. The single character remains. It happens to be the first character of the web site being displayed.

Okay dokey so if that ain't getting it, I'm gonna assume that 'something' also maybe changed all the other stuff you can tweak on the title bar, like background colours & whatnot .. This refers

But I'm 'jiggered' if I can figure out where the hell any limiting size might be unless its caused by using a 'large logo' (again see the link)..

Maybe something like TweakIE can help ?

Any file called *.ins 'hanging about' in c:\program files\internet explorer\ & its subdirectories can also have an effect
    Last edited by confus-ed; March 30th, 2004 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwmoyer
    I have tried the registry changes suggested but it makes no difference. The single character remains. It happens to be the first character of the web site being displayed.

I forgot to mention that I am using WinXP home edition, apparently gpedit.msc is not included in this version of XP. I also tried tweakie, but it only provides the ability to make the same registry change more easily that I have already tried to no avail. The only *.ins file hanging around is a setup.ins, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with this problem.
    Last edited by pwmoyer; March 31st, 2004 at 08:47 AM.

Bugger ! .. thought that would 'get it'

Quite right xp home has no group policy editor as its meant to be 'solo' so no real need ..

Uninstalling IE6 isn't getting it because you did an upgrade of 98 to xp (point to note should you ever want to re-install, 'clean' is infinately better than 'upgrade' as you get 'oddities' {like here} hanging about ) .. & all the files are too mixed up for it to get rid of the right stuff .. you can't 'really' uninstall it anyway as its tied into xp & that was what all the 'anti-trust courtroom stuff' was all about & 'M$'s anti-competative' practices...

I'm coming to the conclusion the only way out is a complete 'clean' re-install of xp home .. which seems far too drastic ! for such an apparently simple thing ... there must be a better answer ! I shall have a think ..

Thumbs up I had the Same Problem in XP

Hello,

I had the same problem with a full XP install that was just 3-4 months old. It went away after I uninstalled GameSpy and the Google Toolbar. I'm not sure which one was actually causing the issue. I've reinstalled a fresh Google Toolbar and the problem did not return so I assume it was GameSpy or something related to that program.

Thanks,
    Garett