msconfig shows many services stopped
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: msconfig shows many services stopped

Hybrid View

hundreds of thousands of files, oh my

Hi,

I noticed that I now have over 600,000 files that seems like a bit much. Is there anyway I can create a report of all my directories/folders and list the number of files in each folder?

Any suggestions for how to clean this mess up???

I know this sounds stupid but what kind of files are they. Music, program, data, movies?
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Well actually i might suggest WinRAR Or WinZip and you can archive yourfiles. Which will make them some what smaller and you can catagorize them as you please. But thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rss
    . Is there anyway I can create a report of all my directories/folders and list the number of files in each folder?
    When you make the archive as i stated above you can name it what or want or give it a name according to the number of files in it.

WinRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    Winzip:http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm, Download the evaluation version its FREE
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Here's some shareware you could try.. http://www.soft32.com/download_8397.html. I've used it before and it's pretty helpful showing you which files are taking up all your hard drive space.
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

For a quick and dirty listing, run a Command Prompt and type (for the C: drive, change for other drives) : DIR C:\ /S /A > files.txt

This will produce a (large) file called files.txt which can be viewed in a text editor or word processor and will list what files exist in which folders, with total at the end, but I don't recall for sure if there's anything hidden in XP that this won't reveal.

And here's another freeware reporting program:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/foldersreport.html

http://www.spadixbd.com/

^^ Free directory printing/listing tool, I use it quite often and havent had any problems with it, useful when you burn alot of data to a dvd and can easily print out a content page for it.

cool tool but I don't think it shows hidden files

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    http://www.spadixbd.com/

^^ Free directory printing/listing tool, I use it quite often and havent had any problems with it, useful when you burn alot of data to a dvd and can easily print out a content page for it.

I ran the tool and recursed sub folders. It showed just over 100,000 files. Doesn't seem right given how many files XP pro starts out with. Is there a way to show hidden files?

Quote Originally Posted by rss
    Hi,

I noticed that I now have over 600,000 files that seems like a bit much. Is there anyway I can create a report of all my directories/folders and list the number of files in each folder?

Any suggestions for how to clean this mess up???
    Any idea why you have so many files? where are you looking to see 600,000 files?

For all the browsers you have installed, remember to Clean Up temporary files

also do a Disk Clean: Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->SystemTools-->DiskCleanup

When I run norton to do a scan it says it scanned over 600,000 files. I don't think the problem is the temp files but I'll check. What I notice is that my system volume information is over 99 gigs. Can I safely remove it? I thought it was used for the restore function in xp but I find that 90% of the time you can't restore. I would like to delete it and start over. any suggestions of how to do that>

Simply right click on My Computer, Go to System Restore, put a check in the Turn Off System Restore, and click OK. Reboot and then go back and uncheck the turn off system restore.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Wow! Lots o' files there! How big is your hard drive, anyway? Have you just tried looking at the properties of some folders to see how large they are? And have you run any spyware removal tools like Ad Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy, etc? I'm curious because some current adware can write 2 or 3 GB worth of files to your machine, and create thousands of infected small files such as .dll files, along with thousands of registry entries. NAV is just not that good a tool for adware/spyware removal, and often misses things that should be removed and flags things that are unimportant.

Just to give you a reference point, one of my home machines has 4 or 5 of my larger games on it (1 to 6 GB each), 30 or so kid games (Zoo Tycoon, Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, etc), lots of software, 4 or 5 hours of video, etc. All in all my 120 GB drive is about 57% full, and I have around 257,000 files on it.

I think I would run malware scans (if you haven't) before anything else. Update the software before you scan. Be sure System Restore is turned off before scanning, and if things still seem weird, shut the machine down for at least thirty seconds, boot in Safe Mode, and re-scan.

Well, once again it seems that NORTON is a piece of garbage. It says it's scanning 600,000 and there are in fact only a little over 100,000 including hidden files!!!! We should all get together buy symantec (the company) and put it out of business!

I'm not 100% sure, but Norton doesnt see files as files, if that makes any sense

Personally I never have had a problem with NAV, its AV had always kept my pc's virus free.

I'm not really sure. I started looking into the innards of my machine so to speak and was surprised at what I was finding. I was having a problem with java but Norton help was able to fix it. apparently ccproxy in currentuser had to be set to 0 it was at 2. The behavior was interesting though. IE would not update but firefox would. Now, based on reports from www.java.com both firefox and IE have java 1.5.0_05 and work with norton.

So, I think the issue with Java is ok but who knows. I was also having the control panel java icon remain even when java was removed.

The problems or suspicious items are:

1) norton says it's scanning 600,000 files --> I can only find 111,789
    2) A lot of services are stopped
    3) the ntbtlog says many drives didn't load but here I'm not sure if the ntbtlog was created in safe mode or not.
    4) This is I think minor but to be complete, two programs are suppose to place their icons in the system tray, MS antispy (red yellow and black wheel) and a green globe from Norton. Sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. The programs always appear in the task manager, so they are loading but not displaying.

Have performed multiple scans for virusis and the machine seems clean. What would you look at, or would you just say hey, if it aint broke....

you haven't answered my question about what happens to the services in safe mode....do the majority stay stopped or do some start?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."