USB Print support
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB Print support

Cool USB Print support

Hi all. I have a Biostar M7MKA mobo and Athlon 500 proc. Running WinXP Home. Bought a Lexmark USB printer and can't get it to be recognized by system. In Control panel I have USB Root hub and 751 chipset that's all.

Suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers SC Maddog

In the system, do you have a root hub and a controller?

How did you attempt to install the Lexmark - drivers first or did you plug in the printer first?

Have you updated to SP2?

Do you have any other usb devices?

In System, do you have any devices shown with a ! next to it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In the system, do you have a root hub and a controller?
    Yes, both. The USB Root Hub I'm sure of...the only other entry under USB in Device Manager is a USB controller (I'm pretty sure it's an AMD 731/751 Chipset -- sorry I'm at work and can't pull up my system).

How did you attempt to install the Lexmark - drivers first or did you plug in the printer first? I've tried several different ways. The instructs have u ignore the P-N-P find on start-up and load the cd following their prompts...no go. I deinstalled the Lexmark (with an !) rebooted and followed the system prompts...it asked for a driver and I inserted the mfg cd, that promptly started it's setup which I aborted and tried to point to the cd driver lib....no go...then tried allowing the cd to run its setup after boot (and another clean of the !'ed Lexmark printer in Device manager.

After I clear the printer from device manager and reboot...the sys always finds new hardware "USB Print Support" (displays the small icon pop-up in the lower-right, eventually the icon goes away) and the sys finds new hardware "Lexmark Z611 printer", (again the small icon pop-up in the lower-right, eventually the icon goes away)...after the "Lexmark..." pop-up disolves the Hardware Install wizard launches and we get up to what I was describing before.....but as I've said...after this whole gyration the Lexmark is in Device manager with an ! but there's no sign of the USB Print Support.......I have no Enhanced USB controller and no USB Port visible for Printing under "Ports".

Also, I have checked the BIOS (Award 1.0) and USB support is Enabled and USB keyboard is Not enabled.

Have you updated to SP2? Yes, long before the problem

Do you have any other usb devices? Only a WebCam that I was able to uninstall and reinstall last night...it works fine from either USB port.

Thanks for the help and I hope I'm being exact enough in description.....please, let me know if I've left anything out that you were expecting.

Maddogs and Englishmen, drunk in the noonday sun.

OK, I think you need to uninstall any and all lexmark software in SAFE mode.... while in there, uninstall the ! device(s). Make sure your printer is NOT connected to the usb ports. Reboot to normal mode. Go to lexmark support, select your region of the world, country, printer type and download the latest drivers for your printer. Often the cd contains a first version and the website holds an updated one. Install the driver and do NOT connect the printer until either the software asks for it, or better, the software installs and you have rebooted the machine after install - wait till the computer is completely to desktop (no eggtimers) before plugging in the printer. A wizard should launch and it will finish the install. This can take a few minutes.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No USB Print port

Thanks for the suggestion but still "no joy". Installing the printer software required me selecting a port to assign the printer to...since there were only LPT--Com--and File ports available I selected first an open LPT port...second time I tried the File port...In both instances, after reboot when I connected and powered-up the printer the system Found New Hardware (USB Printing Support" but didn't load any drivers for that so there was no USB port available to "connect" the printer to from Control Panel.

I've contacted Award and Biostar (BIOS and motherboard mfgs respectively) to try and verify my mobo and BIOS "can" support USB 2.0 (required for this printer)...I haven't heard anything back yet....DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW IF MY MOBO AND BIOS WILL SUPPORT USB 2.0?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

definetly not the motherboard but if you pop in a USB 2 pci card+drivers then you will have USB 2 support
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

While the printer may like usb2.0 - it will work on usb 1.1.

There are a number of things that can be done beside fit a new card... just tell me how much more about usb and motherboards you want to learn

You can do some things like update the bios - but be warned, while it is a simple procedure, it can render your motherboard useless.

In addition, driver updates for the chipset can help your manual is here which says It's a slot A AMD 751 and the drivers are here - Start by installing these.

Lexmark USB problem as well

I just bought a Lexmark X3350 All In One Printer. I am having the same problem as Maddog. I do not get prompted for the USB001 Virtual Printer Port or no USB printer port is listed if I even get that far.
    PLEASE HELP US! Any like Maddog???
    The installation sheet instructs to cancel the PnP wizard and use the CD. I did with no success. It boots out of the installation as soon as the GUI tries to detect the printer. I downloaded the latest drivers with the same results. I unplug, uninstall, replug, don't replug, try "add printer", try create local port, etc. I added a $20 USB controller with 2.0 support because I needed more ports anyway. Doesn't work with that either. I will never buy a Lexmark product again if this continues. Tech support doesn't have a clue and advises me to call my PC manufacturer. I have the BIOS set to PnP enabled and the USB is enabled (see below for settings). I have looked at the Print Monitor and Port Registry settings but did not change any. I am using the Intel D850GB mother bd and upgraded the BIOS a year ago. Can someone please help me with this.

The following is my system information. Sorry it is so long a list.

OS INFORMATION
    OS Name Microsoft XP Professional
    Version 5.1 Service Pack 2
    Build 2600
    OS Language English(United States)
    Locale Code 1033

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
    Processor Name Intel Pentium IV or Xeon
    Number of Processors 1
    Processor Revision 7
    Minimum Application Address 10000
    Maximum Application Address 7ffeffff
    Processor Speed 1.50 GHz

BOOT DRIVE C
    Spooler directory C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS
    Pagefile location with min & max size in MB C:\pagefile.sys 384 768

MEMORY INFORMATION
    Total Physical Memory 255 MB
    Available Physical Memory 64 MB
    Total Pagefile Size 620 MB
    Available Pagefile Size 387 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2047 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 1995 MB
    Extended Virtual Memory 0 MB

CACHE INFORMATION
    Cache Size 70496 KB
    Cache Peak Size 108276 KB

Internet Connection Information
    Connection Type Broadband

USB INFORMATION
    USB Host Controller #1 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #2 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #3 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #4 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #5 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    USB Host Controller #6 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Details of Installed Devices to USB
    ===================================

Root Hub #1 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&7021dd4&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #2 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&2a03c031&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #3 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&6760912&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #4 USB#ROOT_HUB20#5&d975380&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Device Details On Port 2
    ------------------------
    Device Name USB Device
    Device Type
    Device Status Device Not Connected

Root Hub #5 USB#ROOT_HUB#4&2c75ad25&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #6 USB#ROOT_HUB#4&21288dc1&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Other Installed Devices
    =======================
    Device Name eBookManŽ Device
    Device Type FEP_DEVICES

CURRENTLY RUNNING PROCESSES INFORMATION
    System
    smss.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    LexBceS.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    Lexpps.exe
    explorer.exe
    realsched.exe
    qttask.exe
    iTunesHelper.exe
    DVD43_Tray.exe
    imontray.exe
    webcomp.exe
    EbmMgr.exe
    EasyShare.exe
    Kodak Software Updater.exe
    KodakCCS.exe
    devldr32.exe
    svchost.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    imonNT.exe
    iPodService.exe
    wscntfy.exe
    alg.exe
    Netscp.exe
    setup32.exe
    sysinfo.exe

Welcome to Windrivers dlelievre

Have you installed the chipset drivers from intel here?

how about updated lexmark drivers? Save this file to say c:\lexmark - Double clicking the file will start the installation, so don't do that just yet.

Have you removed the lexmark software in safe mode before reinstalling? (I note you have a lexmark process running)

have you checked here to see if you have all the various items in device manager correctly?

Clean out ALL references to lexmark in safe mode from add/remove programs, printers and search in the registry for lexm, lexmark and X3350. You should pay special attention to the usbstor key. Some keys will not allow you to delete them - but you can if you are logged on as Administrator and change the permission on just the key (right click, permissions) you intend to delete before deleting them.

Obviously deleting keys in the registry can be dangerous, so export the keys and/or the entire registry before you delete anything.

When you are satisfied you have removed all references, ensure that you have NO other usb devices connected. Now boot to normal mode. Install the chipset drivers linked above. Reboot.
    Wait each time for XP to get fully to desktop.
    Install the lexmark software first.
    When (and only when) it prompts you to connect the printer, make sure that the printer is connected to power and is ready (online with paper and ink), then plug in the usb to one of the standard Intel ports (do not use a hub or the new usb2 card for the moment).

If the software does not prompt you to connect the printer, but does ask for reboot, reboot. When it has got fully back to desktop, then connect the printer (as above)

When the second stage of the install starts - windows launches a device driver search, allow windows to search automatically so it will find the new drivers which you downloaded. (DO NOT save the driver exe to the desktop!)
    This search can take upwards of 5 minutes.

When the printer installs, you can then install the fax and ocr software again... but make sure you reboot between the printer installation and the fax software installation.

Spooler Service not running now

NooNoo, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this help.
    I did everything you mentioned. My old printer was a Lexmark Z53 and that was the only Lexmark related registry data that I needed to delete from the registry. Their were still .dll and .exe Lexmark related files in the /system32 directory running those processes before so they are gone.
    At the point everything was cleaned out I then installed the Intel Chipset updates. I was at Intel's site looking for these and couldn't find them for my MB/Chipset so thanks again for the hyperlink.
    I downloaded the latest Lexmark driver which I had done before but deleted it and downloaded it again anyway. I installed the Lexmark software which unzips and locates the files in a directory on the C drive. Then instantly executes the installation routine. It comes back with a message "spooler service" not workiing would you like to activate. I hit yes but the install dies which does not surprise me knowing Lexmark's installation software.
    As you can see in my previous email that I had the spooler process running but as you see below (I've attached my "new" system specs again) now I don't. The chipset update should have nothing to do with the spooler process; correct? What would cause this to disconnect; not the old Z53 registry settings; correct? Isn't the spooler process an XP function?
    How do I get the spooler service going again so I can continue with the Lexmark install? Thanks again for your help!

PC INFORMATION
    Computer Manufacturer Data Not Available
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    Default Printer

OS INFORMATION
    OS Name Microsoft XP Professional
    Version 5.1 Service Pack 2
    Build 2600
    OS Language English(United States)
    Locale Code 1033

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
    Processor Name Intel Pentium IV or Xeon
    Number of Processors 1
    Processor Revision 7
    Minimum Application Address 10000
    Maximum Application Address 7ffeffff
    Processor Speed 1.50 GHz

DISPLAY INFORMATION
    Display Adapter NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)

DISK INFORMATION

DRIVE Total disk space Available Total free disk space
    ------------------------------------------------------

C: 37.26GB 20.99GB
    D: 111.78GB 78.14GB

BOOT DRIVE C
    Spooler directory
    Pagefile location with min & max size in MB C:\pagefile.sys 384 768

MEMORY INFORMATION
    Total Physical Memory 255 MB
    Available Physical Memory 87 MB
    Total Pagefile Size 620 MB
    Available Pagefile Size 450 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2047 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 1995 MB
    Extended Virtual Memory 0 MB

CACHE INFORMATION
    Cache Size 57784 KB
    Cache Peak Size 98524 KB

Internet Connection Information
    Connection Type Connection Off

USB INFORMATION
    USB Host Controller #1 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #2 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #3 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #4 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB Host Controller #5 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    USB Host Controller #6 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Details of Installed Devices to USB
    ===================================

Root Hub #1 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&7021dd4&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #2 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&2a03c031&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #3 USB#ROOT_HUB#5&6760912&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #4 USB#ROOT_HUB20#5&d975380&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Device Details On Port 2
    ------------------------
    Device Name USB Device
    Device Type

Root Hub #5 USB#ROOT_HUB#4&2c75ad25&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Root Hub #6 USB#ROOT_HUB#4&21288dc1&1#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}

Other Installed Devices
    =======================
    Device Name eBookManŽ Device
    Device Type FEP_DEVICES

System
    smss.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    explorer.exe
    realsched.exe
    qttask.exe
    iTunesHelper.exe
    DVD43_Tray.exe
    imontray.exe
    webcomp.exe
    reader_sl.exe
    EbmMgr.exe
    EasyShare.exe
    KodakCCS.exe
    devldr32.exe
    svchost.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    imonNT.exe
    iPodService.exe
    alg.exe
    wscntfy.exe
    wuauclt.exe
    setup32.exe
    sysinfo.exe

OK, it was probably just xp being tidy - no printer, therefore no spooler needed

So, start, run and type in
    services.msc
    click ok

In the window that launches, you will see all the services, some are started some are not, this is normal.

The service is called Print Spooler and should be set to automatic. If it isn't, double click the service and use the drop down box to set it to automatic, and then start the service.

Now install the lexmark

have you got this update? Check add/remove programs for it.

Was able to get print spooler started by downloading lexbce.dll

A site mentioned to type the following after replacing the lexbce.dll file in the /system32 directory. sc config spooler depend= RPCSS. The lexbce process is still not running though but as you see below the spoolsv.exe is.
    The lexbce.dll is an XP file because it is a dependency for the spoolsv process Lexmark provides a lexbces.exe to do something with the lexbce file.

System
    smss.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    KodakCCS.exe
    svchost.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    imonNT.exe
    alg.exe
    explorer.exe
    realsched.exe
    qttask.exe
    wscntfy.exe
    iTunesHelper.exe
    DVD43_Tray.exe
    iPodService.exe
    imontray.exe
    webcomp.exe
    EbmMgr.exe
    EasyShare.exe
    devldr32.exe
    setup32.exe
    sysinfo.exe
    Last edited by dlelievre; November 6th, 2005 at 12:20 PM.

Actually it is not an XP file - lexmark hijacks the dependency. You can change it back (and you will have to if you no longer have a lexmark!) by following the instructions here I have linked you directly to the lexmark bit, but scrollup for other information and steps to remove old printer drivers.

Spooler cleaned with questions but no success with install.

Per the registry spooler cleaning instructions

The keys Version-2 and Version-3 were missiing from the path below.
    The instructions mentioned that one of them could be missing and it was ok but it didn't answer the question what if both are missing like in my case.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\

Does it matter that Version-2 and Version-3 keys are not there?
    Should I add one or both of these keys manually and as what type of key if I need to add?

I tried a fresh install again with no success. It did take longer to search for the printer but obviously couldn't find it.

When using the Microsoft clean tool you pointed to it prompts me to delete the "USB monitor port" and I checked no. Should I delete this and reinstall it?

There is a log file called lsccscan.log create during install; this is what it says:

SCW Error Loading touchstone DLL
    SCW InitLogger failed
    MON LCS client failure in enumHids Network
    MON LCS client failure in enumHids Local
    Last edited by dlelievre; November 6th, 2005 at 02:36 PM.

Because when you installed the lexmark driver, it hijacked it.... You had an old lexmark, so the drivers for that would have done it.