USB Print support - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB Print support

Still no success on the Lexmark X3350 install

Should I delete the USB Print Monitor and reinstall it? I have not done that yet but I have tried all the above. Please; anymore suggestions? The thread before this lists an error message file that may provide some clues. Updating the chipset drivers, cleaning the registry of the old drivers, rebooting, waiting for hourglass to go away, unplugging, replugging, all in the proper order does not solve the problem. By the way the installation routine prompts to plug in the USB cable not to reboot before trying to detect the drivers.
    But when the USB cable is plugged in during the installation the PnP wizard pops up while trying to install and you need to cancel it. This is probably why Lexmark tells you to plug the cable in before installing the software.
    Below are two sets of error messages from two different log files after install. Any help please??

29250 0x000009b0 Device.cpp(423) Failed to determine OS language, received an empty path 0000000000:The operation completed successfully.

59781 0x000009b0 hwdwz.cpp(107) Warning: Thread did not shut down, attempt force 0x00000002:The system cannot find the file specified.

741640 0x000009b0 printer.cpp(411) Unexpected error adding printer 0x00000704:The specified port is unknown.

741640 0x000009b0 dialogs.cpp(77) Failed to add printer object to local port 0x00000002:The system cannot find the file specified.

SCW Error Loading touchstone DLL
    SCW InitLogger failed
    MON LCS client failure in enumHids Network
    MON LCS client failure in enumHids Local
    Last edited by dlelievre; November 6th, 2005 at 04:19 PM.

It is very unkind of you to edit your post in such a way as to make mine look completely irrelevant.

I think I had said that you need to remove ALL TRACES of the lexmark printer, so yes that would include the print monitor and anything else to do with the lexmark printer.

Deleting - I assume you mean uninstall. Deleting it will leave all the registry keys.

Of course, the printer could be faulty, have you tried installing it on another pc?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Lexmark x3350 install problems. Sorry for the edited posts!

No harm intended in editing my post. I apologize and I am new to this sort of thread etiquette. I was just trying to consolidate my responses and progress instead of having many threads.
    I have not tried it on another PC and don't have one to do that with.
    Lexmark has provided warranty/return information so I may take advantage of that though I just want to get the printer installed. All they do is replace this one with the same one and I am not convinced it is a printer problem yet.
    The cleanspl.exe utility from the Microsoft tools asks if I want to "delete" the "USB Monitor" Print monitor. If I delete it then when and how does it get installed again. It also asks me if I want to delete The "Standard TCP/IP Port"
    print monitor. If I delete it then how do I reinstall it? Do they get installed upon reboot or do I need to manually install them again.

In theory, when windows detects a printer it will put the tcp/ip capability back... but you would have printer sharing off if you have only one computer anyway.

USB print monitor would be also put back (hopefully correctly) when you reinstall the printer.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Lexmark x3350

I am taking the printer to work to see if it works there. If it installs with work's HP computer then I will delete the print monitor from my home computer.
    I will also clean the registry again, etc one more time and try a fresh install on my home computer. If still no luck then I will upgrade to a new motherboard i.e. a new chipset and USB interface. Lexmark will only replace it with the same printer and not refund my cash.

If the printer is faulty, then a replacement is all that is needed.

Why are you reluctant to remove the print monitor?

Lexmark x3350

I removed the print monitor, etc and will try another install tomorrow.
    The printer installed 100% on my HP computer at work so it is my home PC configuration that is the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Still no luck with Lexmark X3350

Installs on my work computer
    Cleaned out all registry information and folder locations.
    Used cleanspl.exe to delete printer monitor, etc
    Reinstalled with cable unplugged and plugged
    Installed new chipset updates

There must be an XP software component missing for my USB detection specifcally related to printer installations. Maybe it is a specific issue with my Intel D850GB motherboard.
    Other USB devices install and work. The wizard comes up so if Lexmark's drivers were supplied with XP then the Plug and Play may work but Lexmark's install routine seems to be proprietary or something like that. I don't know enough about the interelations between Lexmark, XP, USB and my motherboard chipset software to get this to correctly install. I wonder if reinstalling XP would help or just cause me more grief.

Just checked the bios update availability at here at intel and wow, there are 9 updates!

What version bios are you running? P18 fixes a bunch of ACPI issues which are closely related to your problem.
    Last edited by NooNoo; November 13th, 2005 at 02:53 PM.

Oh and for the ALI card download the ALI driver from USBMAN Best to do this after the bios update... but you can do this before if you wish. It may get the ALI pci card going.

x3350 Lexmark Printer

Already had BIOS P18 installed for a while.
    USB ALI controller card worked from the start with other devices but not with this printer.

OK, so now I am wondering whether when you took the lexmark and installed it in another machine, whether you used a different usb cable?

Also have you cleared out all temp, tmp and temporary internet files? How about full virus and spyware scans?

The other thing that you should do is get your xp cd in the drive, click start, run then type in
    SFC /SCANNOW
    click ok
    System File Checker will ask to shut down and do the scan on restart - let it. It will replace corrupt files. You will need to go to windows update again when it is done, but try and install the printer again after the SFC but before going back to windows updates.... disconnect your internet connection while you install the printer because you may no longer have some critical updates which prevent net nasties finding your computer.

x3350 Lexmark

Same USB printer cable was used on my work machine. The cable is capable of bringing up the PnP wizard so it has been capable of communicating between the computer and printer all along.
    I think its a software issue; especially XP. SFC /SCANNOW kept prompting me to retry; something to do with DLL cache and when I clicked retry it would start again. Never prompted me to restart but I did anyway.
    Tried install again from the newest downloaded driver. New Hardware Wizard GUI came up and I left the window open. I've closed the window before but regardless no luck again. It just doesn't detect the printer and in turn load the USB Virtual Printer. It hangs there looking for 3-5 minutes and then just closes the install GUI.

OK the fact that SFC is having fits is bad news. this is a brief overview of sfc As you can see it aint supposed retry.... unless it can't read the xp cd?

Try sfc /scanboot to see if that helps the problem. If not you will have to purge or just install over.