win98 and widescreen

Thread: win98 and widescreen

Question win98 and widescreen

Hey, I been searching for awhile without success on an issue im having and I would appricate some help...

I recently bought a hdtv and it has a build in VGA.. according to the website it can do a max of 1280x720. Because of this feature I took this spare computer I had, put win98se on it and all is good. However I am stuck with a 4:3 ratio, and I hate streching, looks awful. Is there any generic monitor drivers that does the 16:9 ratio, or FREE app that may fix it?

thanks!

Welcome to WinDrivers, ffdreamer.

What you will need to have in the computer is a video card/video driver combination that can operate at the desired resolution. Do you know exactly what video card is in the system now?

I believe video out from a video card is limited to 1024X768 for newer video out cards and 800X600 for older ones
    Try setting it to that or 800X600
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Its not a video out, its just like if I connected a monitor to the computer using monitor cables. The video card on there is a 3Dfx Voodoo3 2000. I have been using there last updated drivers for it, and tried the newer unoffical drivers for it, also with no luck.

Somebody gave me an App which after fooling around with I was able to get a resonable 16:9 ration resoulution that my hdtv accepeted and displayed.. but soon found out that its shareware, and had an annoying popup everytime i booted and was stuck with having to keep the app open to keep the resoulution

http://www.primaamerica.com/Products...ts_LC-27K6.htm thats the tv im using if it helps
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm that was the shareware program

Is there a driver you can download for the TV(sorry, don't have much experience with tv's on computers.). It may not reconize the tv as being a device that can support higher resolutions. What does it say the tv(monitor) is in the display properties?
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

No drivers for it, and the computer picks it up as a generic vga monitor

Quote Originally Posted by ffdreamer
    No drivers for it, and the computer picks it up as a generic vga monitor
    That's why it's not working....it doesn't know the tv can support higher resolutions. You'll get much better support for that kind of stuff from windows XP.

higher resoulution is not my issue, right now i have Super VGA 1280x960 monitor drivers on, I can display that on the tv, I can even select something higher but my tv cant support anything higher then that..... my issue is that all the resolution i can get using the generic VGA drivers are 4:3 ratio (1.33), but im trying to get a widescreen 16:9 ratio (1.77) so I want a resoultion like 1280x720, 1024x576, 800x450

Right now when using the 4:3 ratios it streches on the tv, like if i was watching a standard tv program on a widescreen tv, looks disgusting

As for WinXP, i am quite content with win98se on it, its running just fine, except with this issue

Okay, hold on a sec, you are using generic vga drivers? But before you said you had tried the manufacturer (voodoo) drivers. Have you tried both or did you post incorrect information. Because if you're running generic vga drivers, I don't think they support widescreen. And if you've tried your manufacturer drivers and they didn't work either, I'd say you're out of luck with that video card. (unless you can find someone that has modified the drivers to support widescreen.

If im mistaken is there 2 sets of drivers... one for the monitor, and one for the adapter (video card)... im using Super VGA 1280x960 drivers for the monitor, and Voodoo3 2000 offical drivers for the adapter because thats the video card.

I think the voodoo predates 16:9 for computer output... you are not going to get it unless the card "knows" what it is without a 3rd party app telling it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ya, thats what i figured, its an old card and im not in the mood to buy a new video card, lmao.... so anybody know of a good FREE app to use...

I think i might reinstall that shareware app because it did the trick, but track what changes it makes to my registery and files... and see from there

There was an old utility for 3Dfx cards called FastCard, it was quoted as a Powerstrip alternative. Could be hard to find now, and I'm not sure if it was just for overclocking or could set up any odd resolutions.

had the same problem well less the voodoo,there was no driver given out with the tv but i want to the tv maker wesite and foun a small inf file that after install gave the right setting for full screen,it is a nec lcd tv,hope this of help to you