VPN dropping.. but not dropping?

Thread: VPN dropping.. but not dropping?

VPN dropping.. but not dropping?

We have a remote user that VPNs into our server. It seems the last few days around 1:30-2pm her VPN connections locks up. What I am mean is, I see her connected on the server side (win2k) and she sees herself connected (Winxp) but when she tries to access her mail or our drives it acts as if it is not connected. But when she disconnects and reconnects everything is fine again.

Now we did just change ISP and got a new router and had to set that up, but after we got everything figured out it she got a good steady connection, but is just doing these afternoon drops.

Ideas?

Are you using pptp or ipsec? Is the user connecting using the native XP RAS client?

Do you have any other vpn users or just this one? If there are others are they having the same problem at the same time?

It sounds like you are using RAS in 2k Server so can you check the event logs; on the RAS server enable logging of all errors and alerts and additional information (you'll find this in the RAS console | Properties of the server | Logging tab.) Also you'll need to check the logs on the client machine and compare them with anything you find in the server logs.

What is the router model you are using; you said you replaced it recently so I would be checking router logs. Some of these SOHO routers can be a bit unstable passing through pptp or ipsec packets; often all that is needed is a firmware upgrade.

Do you have a fixed IP with the new ISP? If it is dynamic it may be renewing every 24 hours at the time you see the connection problems. I have seen vpn connections before reporting they were connected in the RAS console when they have actually dropped due to a momentary disconnect on the server side.

Nothing changed from the user's side? New router they are passing through from their end for example?

Are all updates on server and client applied?

emr

Please forgive me if I sound dumb in any way, I mainly do client support and I had this server dumped on me and have had to learn as I go.

Are you using pptp or ipsec? Is the user connecting using the native XP RAS client?
    I believe it is PPTP

Do you have any other vpn users or just this one? If there are others are they having the same problem at the same time?
    At the time she drops, she is the only user.

It sounds like you are using RAS in 2k Server so can you check the event logs; on the RAS server enable logging of all errors and alerts and additional information (you'll find this in the RAS console | Properties of the server | Logging tab.) Also you'll need to check the logs on the client machine and compare them with anything you find in the server logs.
    I am looking at the logs on the server side, it just shows her connecting and disconnecting.

What is the router model you are using; you said you replaced it recently so I would be checking router logs. Some of these SOHO routers can be a bit unstable passing through pptp or ipsec packets; often all that is needed is a firmware upgrade.
    Netgear WGR614v6 which has VPN passthrough. I'll check the log next time she drops

Do you have a fixed IP with the new ISP? If it is dynamic it may be renewing every 24 hours at the time you see the connection problems. I have seen vpn connections before reporting they were connected in the RAS console when they have actually dropped due to a momentary disconnect on the server side.
    We do have a static IP externally, and I have my server setup as static internally, but she is on DHCP. We were thinking it might be her DHCP that could be doing it.

Nothing changed from the user's side? New router they are passing through from their end for example?
    Nothing has changed on her side, but with our old setup she was lucky to be able to access our network drives when she was connected because we had a horrible connection (reason for change).

Are all updates on server and client applied?
    Yes, all except the lastest one (something minor)

Thanks